BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   WiFi HotZone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   bb noob (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=230151)

academy 07-04-2010 08:59 AM

bb noob

Hi guys,

I'm actually quite new to bb, so pardon the noobness of my questions:

1) If without the data plans, can i still use bb apps? Can wifi be in place to use bb apps?

2) Am using bold 9700, if i subscribe to data plans for about 2 months, download whatever possible apps. but am deciding to cancel the data bundle plan, can i still use the apps?

3) With just wifi standalone, can i still download the apps?

4) i'm going to uk to further my uni studies at the end of year, any recommendations of service provider that provides cool and reasonable data plan or pay as you go sim stuff?

aiharkness 07-04-2010 09:57 AM

Wirelessly posted

No blackberry data plan = no using RIM/blackberry apps that require data service. If you have the plan and then drop it, then you no longer will be able to use those apps.

You may be able to use the hotspot browser to access the internet on wifi without a blackberry data plan, but I don't know. I read mixed information. Some can, some can't, seems to depend on carrier. But even if you can, you still will not be able to use data apps like BBM, push email, etc.

akosnitzky 07-04-2010 11:11 AM

Yeah. I am a bit hazy on this. You may be able to use Bolt browser or opera mini if there's a desktop download. For most part, other than voice and text, you have a paper weight

NJBlackBerry 07-04-2010 11:27 AM

And if you use Opera Mini you can't download anything.

MidnightDraven 07-04-2010 12:03 PM

Best blackberry data in the UK, PAYG on Orange.
Or a blackberry simplicity tariff from O2.

academy 07-04-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akosnitzky (Post 1625378)
Yeah. I am a bit hazy on this. You may be able to use Bolt browser or opera mini if there's a desktop download. For most part, other than voice and text, you have a paper weight

so does it mean WITHOUT a data plan, i actually cannot use any applications although they are actually predownloaded for? hmmm. even if by using wifi?

academy 07-04-2010 08:52 PM

thanks!

Now without the dataplan but after downloading those apps, i still cannot gain access to any apps such as fb, bible reading, games, etc.?

alright, i'm REALLY new to bb, what should i do and how do i go about downloading the apps or whatever when i have my bb on hand?

aiharkness 07-04-2010 10:54 PM

Wirelessly posted

First, this forum is not associated RIM, just to be clear.
Second, you need to understand the blackberry device is the hardware tool for using RIM's data services. And to use those services you must buy the blackberry data plan. Not any mobile data plan, but the blackberry plan. As stated above.