BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General PlayBook Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Bad software; bad support (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=247856)

jbburks 04-22-2011 02:53 PM

Bad software; bad support

I just got a new PlayBook. Trying to load it.

The BlackBerry Bridge software comes through AppWorld. Our enterprise blocks AW, and the admin can't figure out how to unblock it.

I tried the link for supposed manual download. It just hangs in the BlackBerry browser.

I tried to get into AppWorld on the PC and download it that way. It is asking for my PayPal account, and I'm not going to link that to a new device, and won't go past it.

I called support and they said I had to get AppWorld unlocked by the admin. Didn't address the issue with PayPal.

I went past trying to link to the handheld. Google Maps won't work properly. The Solitare app gets an error trying to install. Not many apps.

stevetaz 04-22-2011 02:56 PM

Re: Bad software; bad support

So it is bad software because your Enterprise blocks it?

What should Support do if your IT Policy is blocking something?

I know you are probably frustrated, but......

ifonline 04-22-2011 03:18 PM

So you blame RIM for your IT policy and your refusal to provide a PayPal account? Really? I bet you didn't even search around for this:

- Bridge for OS6
- Bridge for OS5

Beyond all that, what do you mean Google Maps doesn't work, and to which Solitaire game are you referring? Might help if you clarify your rant just a bit so we can cut through the fog of your post.

Hauser 04-24-2011 06:46 AM

Maybe he's disappointed that the product takes so much effort to get up and running out of the box. Seems reasonable.

aiharkness 04-24-2011 06:51 AM

Takes so much effort? The device has shortcomings, but difficulty setting up out of the box is not one of them, in my opinion.

NJBlackBerry 04-24-2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

The BlackBerry Bridge software comes through AppWorld. Our enterprise blocks AW, and the admin can't figure out how to unblock it.
Sounds like that's the problem to me.

Dubdub 04-24-2011 06:56 AM

I think Stevetaz has it nailed - the OP is blaming RIM when it is really the company that is just trying to protect their data.

juwaack68 04-24-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1716854)
Takes so much effort? The device has shortcomings, but difficulty setting up out of the box is not one of them, in my opinion.

Agreed.

Cooper 04-25-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1716855)
Sounds like that's the problem to me.

Agreed...

If your IT dept doesn't know how to unblock AppWorld, they probably shoulnd't be running your BES. They should at least not be setting IT policies they don't know how to change.

jsconyers 04-25-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooper (Post 1717164)
Agreed...

If your IT dept doesn't know how to unblock AppWorld, they probably shoulnd't be running your BES. They should at least not be setting IT policies they don't know how to change.

I would agree with this as well.

But I am thinking more along the lines as the admins knows how, but told the OP that since the PB is a personal device, he cannot disable the current IT Policy.

I would bet if the company supplied the PB to the OP, the admin would know how to disable the IT Policy ;-)

Robert_K 04-25-2011 12:49 PM

Or RIM could just as easily release the .cod files so it can be pushed from the BES.. Seems like they would have thought about that instead of requiring everyone to make updates to their IT policies considering they tout this as a tablet built for enterprise.

rsk 04-25-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert_K (Post 1717173)
Or RIM could just as easily release the .cod files so it can be pushed from the BES.. Seems like they would have thought about that instead of requiring everyone to make updates to their IT policies considering they tout this as a tablet built for enterprise.

maybe they did think of that, but maybe they haven't released it to the general population yet, maybe they only gave it to beta testers working at large enterprises, and maybe it works great. (y)

Cooper 04-25-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsk (Post 1717182)
maybe they did think of that, but maybe they haven't released it to the general population yet, maybe they only gave it to beta testers working at large enterprises, and maybe it works great. (y)

I just work at a place that has 600+ Blackberry users and 0 IT policies set. :D

fourstringfuror 04-26-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbburks (Post 1716495)
I just got a new PlayBook. Trying to load it.

I tried the link for supposed manual download. It just hangs in the BlackBerry browser.

I tried to get into AppWorld on the PC and download it that way. It is asking for my PayPal account, and I'm not going to link that to a new device, and won't go past it.

I called support and they said I had to get AppWorld unlocked by the admin. Didn't address the issue with PayPal.

I went past trying to link to the handheld. Google Maps won't work properly. The Solitare app gets an error trying to install. Not many apps.

Waiting for the part where RIM or Playbook is to blame for any of this.