BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Private Stuff (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=255833)

JayJayJay 11-28-2011 12:48 PM

Private Stuff

I hope somone can answer this for me.
I am seperated from my Husband; before all this happened he had got me a Blackberry on contract through his companies Orange account (I pay the monthly Direct debit) and it's not connected to his works computers or anything. After we went our seperate ways he agreed I could just keep the contract as long as I was paying for it untill it was up for renewal.
I know he could get an itimised bill for the account if he wanted but a freind has sugested he might be able to see the content of my text messages, some of them have contained personal stuff about divorce etc and I'd hate him to see them.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I'm in thye UK if that makes a difference.

Dubdub 11-28-2011 01:42 PM

Re: Private Stuff

Which BB do you really have - a 7100 as per your profile or something newer?

Text messages go to your device. If he installed some sort of spy software, maybe.

If you are that worried, wipe the device with Jl_cmdr (see the FAQ) and reinstall the OS. Or better yet, end the contract and pay the termination fees and get a new device and number.

Also make sure you change ALL the passwords for your email accounts and for the device itself.

You might be able to have the account changed to your name for billing purposes - would need to contact the carrier.

jsconyers 11-28-2011 01:45 PM

I don't believe the contents of the SMS messages will show on the bill, but you should check with your carrier just to be sure.

dc/dc 11-28-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1757145)
I don't believe the contents of the SMS messages will show on the bill, but you should check with your carrier just to be sure.

This is correct. The contents will not show up, only the number that was contacted.

JayJayJay 11-28-2011 06:36 PM

thanks all; I don't think they will show up on a bill. and I dont for a second think that my phones been tampered with. I worry he might be able to request a transcript of the text from orange. can that be done?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Dubdub 11-28-2011 06:38 PM

Not sure that your laws are, but here in the US, it takes a court order.

rambo47 11-29-2011 06:38 AM

You should call Orange and ask them what their policy is for this kind of thing.

Thiego-uk 11-29-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1757240)
You should call Orange and ask them what their policy is for this kind of thing.

+1. Give them a call and explain the situation.

Jadey 11-29-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJayJay (Post 1757178)
thanks all; I don't think they will show up on a bill. and I dont for a second think that my phones been tampered with. I worry he might be able to request a transcript of the text from orange. can that be done?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Highly unlikely, the UK has rather good data protection laws, and a court order is required to turn over this information to law enforcement agencies. I do not believe there is any path for an individual to request a network turn over someone else's text messages - that would be wholly illegal. And discounting the law... I used to be on Orange, their customer service blows, ergo the likelihood of them being able/willing to do it in the first place is zero LOL