BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   newbie needs help with 8700g (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=39199)

halogen 06-25-2006 03:10 AM

newbie needs help with 8700g

I experimented and lost my ability to dial numbers ( the default ) from the keypad. Instead when I hit the numbers I get on certain letters the things those letters represent, like O gets me Options, F gives me Profile,\

From what little i know, i am supposed to go to Phone to Options etc to retrieve the ability to use keypad to dial phone numbers.

There is nothing under Options that yields results.

Please help, i can't dial any NEW numbers, except by a very circuitous method!! Eg i entered a new number not already in the address book, into an existing phone number, saved it, and dialed from that already present phone numbers location!!
please help!!

ps this phone is a keeper

thanx

EricaJ1074 06-25-2006 03:14 AM

That's a new one. Not sure how to help.

halogen 06-25-2006 03:23 AM

i specifically followed some simple specific directions to change the keypad to ignore dialing numbers for the purpose of having shortcuts. Does that help? It was fairly straight forward except I can't "find my way back home".

halogen 06-25-2006 03:31 AM

I finally found it. Here is the answer. i got my phone back, he he, thanx

Go into the Phone Log (phone icon) and click the wheel, then go to options. Click into General Options and you will see "Dial from Home Screen" there

rcbjr 06-25-2006 07:33 AM

If you like the shortcuts when Dial from homesceen is off, there is a simple solution. Open the Phon app, move the cursor up to the Blank line above the call log and start dialling.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Stinsonddog 06-25-2006 08:38 AM

I think in the end you will find using the shortcuts better if you populate your address book and hold down the green send key to call up dial by name and you program your speed dial keys. See my tips doc for more info.

JerryD 06-25-2006 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halogen
I finally found it. Here is the answer. i got my phone back, he he, thanx

Go into the Phone Log (phone icon) and click the wheel, then go to options. Click into General Options and you will see "Dial from Home Screen" there

As indicated in other posts, this disables the ability to use keypad shortcuts like M to go right to Messages. I prefer being able to dial from the home screen too, but if you like having the ability to use menu shortcut keys, there are a couple of other tricks.

Hitting the Green phone key quickly (left button directly under the screen) will open the Phone app where you can dial using the keypad.

HOLDING DOWN the Green phone key will bring up the phone app, but all your Address Book entries will be listed. Start typing some one's name and the list will begin filtering out any non matches like it would in the Address Book app. Click or hit enter on the entry you want to call, and select the desired phone number if necessary.