BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Password Keeper Password (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=76014)

bwr 05-09-2007 05:54 PM

Password Keeper Password

Hi -- New BB user here. I have an 8703e.

I'm trying to get into the Password Keeper, but it keeps prompting me for a password -- which I don't know! I never set a password for the PK. The password I set to unlock the device doesn't work either.

I've now had 5/10 failed attempts to get into the PK. I phoned VWZ tech support, but they were no help; they did tell me, however, that if I get to 10/10 failed attempts the device will probably lock up and wipe iteself :-o

Any ideas on how I can get into this thing? Is there a way to reset the PK password so I can actually set it?

Thx.

penguin3107 05-09-2007 06:07 PM

If there were a way to "hack" password keeper, then it wouldn't be a very useful tool, would it?

You're most likely out of luck. If you forgot your password keeper password... then there is nothing you can do.
Entering the password incorrectly 10 times will cause the data to be erased.

FroogleThis 05-09-2007 06:09 PM

Did you purchase the device from Verizon?

If not, your best bet is to make sure that your contacts are backed up via Desktop Manager, and fail the password as many times as it takes. It will wipe (not lock up) the handheld of all data and restore it to factory settings.

bwr 05-09-2007 08:08 PM

Yes -- I purchased the device from Verizon. It's frustrating that I really don't think I entered a password: somehow I must have just messed up fumbling around seeing what was there.

If I wipe the device will I need to have my organization's IT reconfigure it to wirelessly receive my enterprise Outlook mail (I'm not using the BB Desktop software)?

John Clark 05-09-2007 08:54 PM

Whoa....hold the boat here. No need to wipe the device!! If you enter the wrong password in Password Keeper then only the data in the Password Keeper is lost. If you had nothing in there then it doesn't really matter.

JSanders 05-09-2007 09:02 PM

True what that John Clark just said. You will only be wiping the data in Password Keeper...if none there, no harm done.

tsac 05-09-2007 09:25 PM

I think he said he cannot get past the main BB password also. Beyond the Password Keeper wont a restore after a wipe still require the device password?. He may be forced to use one of the cleaning applications found on this site if that will reset it back to factory . Not sure

John Clark 05-09-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwr
I'm trying to get into the Password Keeper

I'm guessing he means the Password Keeper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwr
I never set a password for the PK. The password I set to unlock the device doesn't work either.

I think he means his password for the device won't work for the password keeper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwr
... I phoned VWZ tech support, but they were no help; they did tell me, however, that if I get to 10/10 failed attempts the device will probably lock up and wipe iteself

Tech support is wrong.

Big surprise. <---Sarcasm

If you enter the password wrong in Password Keeper 10 times (or whatever the setting was in PK as it can be changed by the user) it will wipe ONLY the Password Keeper and you can start over. No big deal unless it was full of all your passwords.

bwr 05-10-2007 10:07 AM

Yes -- it's just the PK password that I don't know. The main BB one if fine. So, I don't have anything in PK and don't care it it gets wiped if it will allow me to get back to a "choose a PK password" screen.

JSanders 05-10-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwr (Post 533142)
Yes -- it's just the PK password that I don't know. The main BB one if fine. So, I don't have anything in PK and don't care it it gets wiped if it will allow me to get back to a "choose a PK password" screen.

Yes, that is correct.

bwr 05-10-2007 10:25 AM

Whoo Hoo!!! It worked!!!!

Thanks folks! (y)

JSanders 05-10-2007 10:28 AM

Now have the new PW tattooed to the sole of your foot, lol, good luck.

bberry1914 05-13-2007 05:17 PM

Glad I did a search for this because I don't know the password keeper's password either.

greggebhardt 05-13-2007 06:01 PM

As I remember, the first time you use the password keeper, it looks like it is asking you for a password, I ignored it and got right in. Then set up a password. I love this feature and it is as secure as it gets!

buzz1317 06-17-2007 09:49 AM

I need help here. I did a wipe due to our company going to exchange server. I did the backup several times prior to this.
When I did a restore it did not restore the Password Keeper content. How do I get this back on my BB?
I hate to say it but I got dependent on this. Not to mention I forgot half of them after I researched to get them all and install them in PK.
Please help!
Buzz

x14 06-17-2007 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzz1317 (Post 571374)
I need help here. I did a wipe due to our company going to exchange server. I did the backup several times prior to this.
When I did a restore it did not restore the Password Keeper content. How do I get this back on my BB?
I hate to say it but I got dependent on this. Not to mention I forgot half of them after I researched to get them all and install them in PK.
Please help!
Buzz

Did you do a selective or full restore?

buzz1317 06-17-2007 10:19 AM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I think I did a full. Is there a way to go back and change this? I also did an enterprise activation.

rcm 06-17-2007 12:14 PM

This happened to our company BES when we moved from Lotus to Exchange awhile back. We did full backup and the safe did not come over. I even tried pulling up the backup side by side and couldnt get it to transfer over.

If i had to guess I'd say that a part of the password safe was stored on the BES and didnt transfer. someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

buzz1317 06-17-2007 01:01 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I can see the files in the backup but cannot move them over. Any help anyone?

buzz1317 06-19-2007 10:23 AM

Does anyone have a solution for my issue here?
I tried a search and have come up with nothing solid. Hopefully this is not the first time someone has had this issue.
Thanks in advance,
Buzz