BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rants-raves-forum/)
-   -   Curve - Piece of junk? What is not working on your phone? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rants-raves-forum/201712-curve-piece-junk-what-not-working-your-phone.html)

NJBlackBerry 08-25-2009 10:03 AM

Interesting. My 8320 was all beat up, yet my 8900 - which I got before they hit the street - is fine. To each his own.

keano 09-15-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbwyr (Post 1457978)
Matter of opinion here. I am very happy with my AT&T service but have very bad things to say about Sprint and Verizon so to each his own.




Judging by his remarks of the trackball and key not working and admitting that HE broke the usb port I would say...No, No and No...lol

I did not brake the USB port, I plugged in the charger!!! Bad engineering if you ask me.

Add to the list of issues the fact that the devise has stopped vibrating.

Really, really falling apart.

JSanders 09-15-2009 03:46 PM

But after... what... daily charges? Almost daily? That would be 500-700 connections made. Accidents happen. Bad or good, my two curves after two years still work. I don't use them as much now, but for the first 18 months, I did.

penguin3107 09-15-2009 03:50 PM

Isn't the Curve the best-selling BlackBerry model of all time?

ifonline 09-15-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keano (Post 1455722)
2. No longer charging - When I put the usb charger on few weeks ago I must have bent one of the usb pins on the phone so now the phone no longer charges/connects to the usb

Quote:

Originally Posted by keano (Post 1471898)
I did not brake the USB port, I plugged in the charger!!! Bad engineering if you ask me.

Hey, just thought I'd put these two posts together for you since apparently you blacked out (or possibly fell and hit your head) after writing the first post and therefore forgot what you had said.

No thanks needed. I did this for you because I care. Really.

jsconyers 09-15-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1471901)
Isn't the Curve the best-selling BlackBerry model of all time?

No, ask the OP; the Curve is a piece of junk.

penguin3107 09-15-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1471903)
No, ask the OP; the Curve is a piece of junk.

Oh, I'm not debating that... the Curve is definitely a piece of junk.
I simply find it fascinating that it's both a piece of junk, and the best-selling BlackBerry of all time.
;)

Jimmyelp 09-15-2009 03:56 PM

The wife and I going on two year's with the curve
 
My camera stopped working one time and I did a batt pull and that fixed it!
;-)

JSanders 09-15-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyelp (Post 1471907)
My camera stopped working one time and I did a batt pull and that fixed it!
;-)

Jimmy, with that much information, you could go to work for one of the mobile provider call support centers.

Really, I am serious.

barbwyr 09-15-2009 07:48 PM

LOL...I have a Curve I use all day long, my wife has one for personal and one for work that she uses even more than I do and all 3 are almost 2 years old and still solid. I really want the 8900, but can't justify replacing a perfectly good device...lol. Damn RIM and their reliability...lol.

Oh wait...I do know of a Curve that went belly up. My sister took hers swimming with her and it stopped working. You would think they would idiotproof...I mean water proof these things..lol.

keano 09-16-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifonline (Post 1471902)
Hey, just thought I'd put these two posts together for you since apparently you blacked out (or possibly fell and hit your head) after writing the first post and therefore forgot what you had said.

No thanks needed. I did this for you because I care. Really.

Junior, how old are you, 12?

Yes, I bent the pins by plugging in the charger. How else can you bend them? PLus, if you search you will see that there are other folks that this has happened to them. Plugging in a charger?

And now the vibrate does not work?

Trust me I do the battery pull every day, when I switch the batteries from my phone to my wife's phone for charging.

I am not saying it is not a good phone, and I may get another one, but I think that it has about 2 year lifespan.

Is that tough to comprehend?

NJBlackBerry 09-16-2009 08:03 AM

Hey sport - you asked if the Curve was a piece of junk.

You gotten your answer.

juwaack68 09-16-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keano (Post 1472281)
Junior, how old are you, 12?

Yes, I bent the pins by plugging in the charger. How else can you bend them? PLus, if you search you will see that there are other folks that this has happened to them. Plugging in a charger?

And now the vibrate does not work?

Trust me I do the battery pull every day, when I switch the batteries from my phone to my wife's phone for charging.

I am not saying it is not a good phone, and I may get another one, but I think that it has about 2 year lifespan.

Is that tough to comprehend?


The device is two years old and the warranty has long since expired (a year ago). Be glad you got 2 years out of it.

ifonline 09-16-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keano (Post 1472281)
Junior, how old are you, 12?

No. And I'm definitely not "junior" either. You?

Quote:

Yes, I bent the pins by plugging in the charger. How else can you bend them?
So you did break it. Why are we going in circles here?

Quote:

PLus, if you search you will see that there are other folks that this has happened to them. Plugging in a charger?
Yeah, and there are plenty more that aren't gorillas and break things just by trying to use them. I mean really, just how hard is it to put a USB cable into a USB socket? I suppose if I close my eyes while aiming for the USB port, plus use a hammer to make sure the plug is seated, then I might do some damage. But honestly, who would do something like that?

Quote:

And now the vibrate does not work?

Trust me I do the battery pull every day, when I switch the batteries from my phone to my wife's phone for charging.

I am not saying it is not a good phone, and I may get another one, but I think that it has about 2 year lifespan.
Okay.

Quote:

Is that tough to comprehend?
Nope. Is it tough to comprehend that your case is not the norm, but rather the exception?

kathrynhr 09-16-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keano (Post 1472281)
I am not saying it is not a good phone, and I may get another one, but I think that it has about 2 year lifespan.

Is that tough to comprehend?

Keano, a question: how long, in your opinion, should a phone last? I can't imagine buying a phone and expecting it to last longer than 2 years.

Yes, they cost as much as some laptops these days, but they're also in almost constant daily use for some people, and therefore take a lot more abuse. I mean, just in the last 6 months my 8330 has: been dropped multiple times, gotten water dumped on it, been smeared all over with peanut butter, been in the dog's mouth, been in a steamy bathroom many times, been slept on and been stepped on. Not to mention I've used it daily as a phone, messenger, music player, alarm clock, gaming device, etc.

Apart from a few scratches, it's still running strong.

If I get 2 years out of my phone before I need to replace it, I will be a very happy camper. (y)

jsconyers 09-16-2009 10:04 AM

Kathryn,

That type of abuse cannot be excused! Peanut butter Berry?!?! That's a first for me.

kathrynhr 09-16-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1472409)
Kathryn,

That type of abuse cannot be excused! Peanut butter Berry?!?! That's a first for me.

Yes, peanut butter! Courtesy of a 4-year-old boy who is determined to pull all the crust off his sandwiches since I am too "mean" to slice it off... and manages to squeeze out all the peanut butter in the process.

And then wants to play with mommy's phone... :?

keano 09-16-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1472406)
Keano, a question: how long, in your opinion, should a phone last? I can't imagine buying a phone and expecting it to last longer than 2 years.

Yes, they cost as much as some laptops these days, but they're also in almost constant daily use for some people, and therefore take a lot more abuse. I mean, just in the last 6 months my 8330 has: been dropped multiple times, gotten water dumped on it, been smeared all over with peanut butter, been in the dog's mouth, been in a steamy bathroom many times, been slept on and been stepped on. Not to mention I've used it daily as a phone, messenger, music player, alarm clock, gaming device, etc.

Apart from a few scratches, it's still running strong.

If I get 2 years out of my phone before I need to replace it, I will be a very happy camper. (y)

Well, I am just disappointed how everything seems to be falling apart. Sure they get a heavy usage and abuse, but still. Why would the vibrate stopped working? Why my left convenience button is not working, why the camera is not working, and let's not get into the trackball.

I just wanted to gauge if other people have similar problems.


I think the phone as a device should work 3-4 years without a problem. I understand if let's say one thing brakes, or physical damage is done to the phone and the screen brakes, water damage, etc, but just things braking on its own.

JSanders 09-16-2009 11:38 AM

I don't feel like scrolling back through this entire thread, it's too painful.

BUT, try an OS upgrade to the latest, a complete JLCmder wipe and load the OS.

It won't fix hardware problems like USB slots, a broken vibrator :? or buttons, but it might fix your camera.

OrangeBDS 09-17-2009 11:27 AM

It sounds like all the OP's complaints are in regards to physical pieces/things that move on the device. After 2 years of use on a device that compact, it's not surprising to see button failures and other physical aspects go haywire.

"The camera pressing thing?" sounds like a button, I think, after two years there's probably a lot of dirt/dust/grime built up inside it. Same with the trackball and the convenience key. And as for the USB, that's all phsyical damage, obvious why it's not working.

The curve is the device I run into the most often, which in my line of work is normally a bad thing as I do troubleshooting, but most, if not, all the time it's because of email issues or browser issues. I really can't recall anyone complaining about anything other than a trackball that hasn't been cleaned properly. I'd have to say you've gotten a good life out of the Curve.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.