BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 60
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Seriously, honestly, do you really think the 9700 is that good? I'm not so sure

Please Login to Remove!

I went from the Strom 2 to the 9700 and seriously thinking of getting the Storm 2 back. The only thing that differentiates the 9700 is the good battery life. Otherwise it's a 3G Curve that gets over-hyped praise.

I changed to the Storm because of the speed of dailing and typing but now using the tiny screen and having to move a cursor around instead of just pressing the option I need is slowing me down in a different way.

The screen on the 9700 is so small, and of course that leads to the fantastic form factor, making it nicely pocketable. Whereas the Strom 2 is larger, but it feels more solid overall, not that the 9700 doesn't. Besides the smaller form factor I don't see any major advantages over the 9000 with larger screen and better keyboard.

Also, the 3G and coverage of T-Mobile sucks, with AT&T not far behind. I also don't see any major advantage of using 3G GSM on the US networks as they aren't great....Australian networks are much faster.

Whereas on Verizon, not only is coverage better, 3G better, but calls connect super quick, almost instantly with Verizon, wheras T-Mobile/AT&T take up to 5 seconds to connect when dialing.

Maybe I need to give the touch screen typing another go, or maybe I'm not giving the 9700 enough credit....anyone else thinking similar thoughts?
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
avelasqu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Battle Ground
Model: 9900
OS: .540
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 535
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I feel that it may be a bit over-hyped. But I do like the smaller form factor. However, I wish this had the 8900 keyboard on it. My emailing isnt nearly as quick and precise as it was on my 8900. So, all in all, I wish the 8900 had the 9700 trackball. Other than that, its just, "ok".
__________________
www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 950
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 185
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The screen on the 9700 is pretty awesome and so is the camera.

However, I prefer the larger keyboard on the Bold 9000.

I guess you can't have it all...
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,813
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

It's evolutionary. I think the 9700 is great. A 3G upgrade over the 8900. And the trackpad is wonderful.

I personally think the Storms are terrible, and that's why choice is a wonderful thing!
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 60
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

i feel that the resolution is wasted on the 9700 having such a small screen. For the style the 9000 was small enough. While the trackpad is good, it can be unresposnsive too, or over responsive dependent on th level of moisture on your thumb.

I think touchscreens are the way to go because when you want something you touch it, rather than tell a cursor to select something- just seems more intuitive to the way the brain works....I also miss my old 9000 as a phone.....but yes choice is great, but a pain too!
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CoDudette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Model: iOS
OS: 5.0.1
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN
Posts: 1,937
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
It's evolutionary. I think the 9700 is great. A 3G upgrade over the 8900. And the trackpad is wonderful.

I personally think the Storms are terrible, and that's why choice is a wonderful thing!
i do love my bold, but am definitely looking to upgrade to the 9700.
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
I think touchscreens are the way to go because when you want something you touch it, rather than tell a cursor to select something- just seems more intuitive to the way the brain works.
I guess my brain works differently than yours because I disagree. Personally, I think touchscreen devices suck and I'm plenty glad that as a consumer I have many options available to me to suit my needs.
For me, the 9700 is near perfection, which is why I purchased it.
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,813
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

My brain works like penguin's.... No touch screens for me.
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kathrynhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Model: None
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 2,034
Post Thanks: 36
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Ditto penguin and NJ: no touchscreens.

I'm way too OCD about smudges to purchase any touchscreen device now on the market. I have to take a lens cloth to my laptop screen every time I use it... I'd be an absolute basket case with a touchscreen phone. I'd turn into that red-headed chick on Glee.
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,813
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

I wish I understood that last sentence
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
avelasqu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Battle Ground
Model: 9900
OS: .540
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 535
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You dont have to get it, to understand. Its just funny because I am the same way. LOL, is it OCD or CDO? LMAO
__________________
www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default

Another opinion related to the topic:
Why The BlackBerry Bold 9700 May Just Be The Best BlackBerry Yet | CrackBerry.com
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

oh you peoples who refuse to use a touchscreen.

The 9520 I have here is pretty darn nice. No issues, fast as heck typing, great BIG screen.

You're all wusses.

How'd they tear you away from the 7250s?
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
oh you peoples who refuse to use a touchscreen...
I use whatever BlackBerry Tara Reid is using.
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Well, hell yea, NOW there's some logic.
Offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
jsconyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a van down by the river.
Model: NOTE2
OS: 4.1
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 15,071
Post Thanks: 139
Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
How'd they tear you away from the 7250s?
They stopped updates for it :(
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
When you take things for granted, the things you are granted, get taken.
Even a mosquito doesn't get a pat on the back until it starts to work.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 03:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CoDudette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Model: iOS
OS: 5.0.1
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN
Posts: 1,937
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avelasqu View Post
You dont have to get it, to understand. Its just funny because I am the same way. LOL, is it OCD or CDO? LMAO
It's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

CDO would make it.. Compulsive Disorder Obsessive? :S or Compulsive Disorder Obsession.. err.

I had a touchscreen. it stopped liking me after a while.
Offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.405
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 41
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Picked mine up Sunday and haven't let go of it since. The screen is indeed smaller, but the increase in resolution makes it easier to see for me. For my money, the trackpad and WiFi were worth the price of admission. I love the phone. It's zippy, it feels good in the hand, and the whole thing just seems well made. Time will tell I suppose.

Disclaimer: I upgraded from an 8700c, so I went from trackwheel to trackpad. Never owned one with a trackball. So this was like going from a bicycle to a Ferrari.

On edit: Hi everybody, I'm not new, but this account is. :wave:
Offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,813
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
oh you peoples who refuse to use a touchscreen.

The 9520 I have here is pretty darn nice. No issues, fast as heck typing, great BIG screen.

You're all wusses.

How'd they tear you away from the 7250s?
OH YEAH? I am going to get ApacheIndian to go after you, you touch screen lover!

Well, the 7250 was better than the 7750! Of course I've never used a CDMA only BB, and I am waiting for the touch screen device without a replaceable battery and lousy 3G coverage.

Oh, I have one of them already.
Offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kathrynhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Model: None
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 2,034
Post Thanks: 36
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
You're all wusses.
If being a wuss means I choose not to buy a touch screen device until they get better at resisting smudges, so I can save the hour or so a day I'd probably spend polishing the thing, and the space in my purse that I'd need in order to carry 3 or 4 microfiber smudge-removing cloths around with me instead of just the one I carry now... then yes, I am a wuss.

Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.