BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: LEZ10
OS: 10.0.10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Posts: 1,704
Post Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
That still doesn't explain how making the browser better is making it less secure. RIM isn't Microsoft, can't you do both? You are supporting the status quo and justifying a crappy browser.
Unless the problem is that once you have a secure java script engine it won't run all the horibly written javascript that drives web 2.0, that in fact depends on weaknesses in the engine to provide normal non-malicious rendering, causing people to lament the lack of a "good" browser. The problem with web security is not just that much of the foundation was laid with insecure tools, but that much of what exists today depends on the insecurity of the tools.

Steve Gibson has discussed this in detail as a recurring theme in his podcasts.
__________________
My other Blackberry is a PlayBook.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Unless the problem is that once you have a secure java script engine it won't run all the horibly written javascript that drives web 2.0, that in fact depends on weaknesses in the engine to provide normal non-malicious rendering, causing people to lament the lack of a "good" browser. The problem with web security is not just that much of the foundation was laid with insecure tools, but that much of what exists today depends on the insecurity of the tools.

Steve Gibson has discussed this in detail as a recurring theme in his podcasts.
So I'm right, you are advocating the status quo and leaving everything as it is.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: LEZ10
OS: 10.0.10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Posts: 1,704
Post Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
So I'm right, you are advocating the status quo and leaving everything as it is.
No. If I'm advocating for anything it would be for web designers to be as concerned with security, and I mean really concerned, to the point of learning something about it, as they are with functionality.

I was trying to point out that the reason the Blackberry browser seems crippled is a set of design decisions that RIM made. They could very easily buy or develop a web browser that would perform like Bolt or Opera. They could have done this some time ago. The fact that they don't, and the specifications of what they do (and do not support) are illuminating. We have seen, and likely will see more incremental extensions to the browser as they can be sure these won't jeopardize security (of the device and BES). As you said, they aren't Microsoft. IMHO though it is unlikely that they will come out with a revolutionary new browser any time soon, especially since Bolt and Opera exist. Of course I may be wrong.
__________________
My other Blackberry is a PlayBook.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
IMHO though it is unlikely that they will come out with a revolutionary new browser any time soon, especially since Bolt and Opera exist. Of course I may be wrong.
I've used both Opera Mini and Bolt and found them both to be crap. They are barely better then RIMs browser. They need a webkit browser, like the iphone, the Pre and Android.
Offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
They could very easily buy or develop a web browser that would perform like Bolt or Opera. They could have done this some time ago. The fact that they don't, and the specifications of what they do (and do not support) are illuminating.
They did buy a web browser (of sorts). RIM bought Torch Mobile, a development house that builds WebKit browsers.

Quote:
IMHO though it is unlikely that they will come out with a revolutionary new browser any time soon, especially since Bolt and Opera exist. Of course I may be wrong.
I think you are wrong. RIM didn't buy Torch Mobile just because they felt generous. They bought Torch Mobile so they could have the already experienced WebKit developers in-house to re-build the BlackBerry browser.

Sources: Torch Mobile's own website, Engadget, and plenty of others.
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: LEZ10
OS: 10.0.10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Posts: 1,704
Post Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
They did buy a web browser (of sorts). RIM bought Torch Mobile, a development house that builds WebKit browsers.



I think you are wrong. RIM didn't buy Torch Mobile just because they felt generous. They bought Torch Mobile so they could have the already experienced WebKit developers in-house to re-build the BlackBerry browser.

Sources: Torch Mobile's own website, Engadget, and plenty of others.
From the Torch Mobile site:
Quote:
...will now be focused on utilizing our WebKit-based mobile browser expertise to contribute to the ongoing enhancement of the BlackBerry® platform.
So evelutionary rather than revolutionary changes. And:
Quote:
Please note that the Iris Browser is no longer available for download.
They took Torch out of the Windows Mobile arena.

BTW, I've been evaluating Android for work and been carrying around either an HTC Dream, Majic or Hero. I like the Hero as a device, and Android has some attractive features, from a technical point of view, and is very interesting to develop for. I'm willing to conceed that my browsing habbits are significantly different from the majority of smartphone users, but I have yet to find anything about the browser, or anything else of the Androids, that justify the weight.
__________________
My other Blackberry is a PlayBook.
Offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #27 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Yeah, ok. Not sure basing the "evolutionary" versus "revolutionary" comment on, but whatever. The point is that RIM is, in fact, working on improving the browser on BlackBerry devices.

Simple as that.

Now to get them to implement full IMAP support and I'm golden.
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Yeah, ok. Not sure basing the "evolutionary" versus "revolutionary" comment on, but whatever. The point is that RIM is, in fact, working on improving the browser on BlackBerry devices.

Simple as that.

Now to get them to implement full IMAP support and I'm golden.
I would also like to add Exchange support through Activesync built in (not some costly add on)

Last edited by ArgonNJ : 01-03-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Offline  
Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kathrynhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Model: None
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 2,034
Post Thanks: 36
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I would also like to add Exchange support through Activesync built in (not some costly add on)
That would certainly get you some sort of "techie of the month" award in my office.
Offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kathrynhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Model: None
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 2,034
Post Thanks: 36
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default

In addition to these issues, which others have raised:

* Memory leaks addressed
* Ability to install apps to the SD card
* Set any browser as default

I'd most like the following to be added to the BB OS:

* The ability to make a shortcut to any object, including web sites, files stored on the SD card, native app screens and specific contacts, without having to manipulate themes.
Offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #31 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
kurichan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Model: 9630
OS: 5.0.0.591
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES
Posts: 696
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

- Faster browser
- Real on board IMAP support
- Faster boot

Second the ability to make a shortcut to any object, but QuickLaunch handles that well enough for me for now.
__________________
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: I747
OS: 4.1.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 2,340
Post Thanks: 43
Thanked 117 Times in 107 Posts
Default

A built in app to monitor process's and memory in real time.
__________________
The Search tool and BlackBerryFAQ answer many questions.
Offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
kurichan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Model: 9630
OS: 5.0.0.591
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES
Posts: 696
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
A built in app to monitor process's and memory in real time.
Dude - they're client devices, not servers...
__________________
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Yeah, that might be a bit much.
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #35 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Noodle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: British Columbia
Model: 8520
OS: 5.0.0.509
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 2,021
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I completely happy I'll get a random clock if I'm speeding around on it, but it's not a bother to me.

Maybe I just have low standards?
Offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #36 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
Maybe I just have low standards?
Well... you do like Gorillaz.
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Noodle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: British Columbia
Model: 8520
OS: 5.0.0.509
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 2,021
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

*dies*

How can you NOT like Gorillaz?!

ifonline...*shakes head* Finding Gorillaz was the equivalent of finding Jesus for me. Helped me greatly with heavy drinking and depression a few years ago.

When I get my Gorillaz sleeve tattooed, I'll be sure to post it here ;)
Offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #38 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Now wait... I never said I didn't like Gorillaz!

PM on the way.
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #39 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Noodle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: British Columbia
Model: 8520
OS: 5.0.0.509
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 2,021
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That's what I thought.


Offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #40 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default

To borrow a quote from the infamous Bill the Cat: Pfft.
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.