BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredPC View Post
Okay, now this is getting silly. Everyone I've spoken to, including people employed by, representing, and speaking for T-Mobile are 'idiots' ... because you say so?
YES. I'm not sure how I can put this any clearer. The requirements are printed in black and white, and just because the people you spoke to don't know that and the fact that you don't believe it doesn't mean it's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredPC View Post
I'm sorry, I know what? Everyone I've talked to except you thinks it's just fine. I wasn't aware you're in charge of Right vs Wrong, or that I should take some anonymous forum poster's word over various people employed by my phone company whom I've spoken to in person.

Seriously, man. Is all this sour grapes and animosity over a measly $15 a month?
You know you're trying skirt the policy, which is fraudulent. The difference in cost is not the issue, it's the principle of the matter.

Also, how do you figure that I'm anonymous? I've been here 5 years and several thousand valid, factual, helpful posts longer than you have.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 22
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
YES. I'm not sure how I can put this any clearer. The requirements are printed in black and white, and just because the people you spoke to don't know that and the fact that you don't believe it doesn't mean it's not true.
So, once again, you know best- more than those employed by T-Mobile- because...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
You know you're trying skirt the policy, which is fraudulent. The difference in cost is not the issue, it's the principle of the matter.
I don't know that I'm "skirting" any policy. In fact, I have a lot of evidence to the contrary. I walked into a T-Mobile affiliate store, and was told the requirements needed to upgrade a phone. I did so with no problem. I then walked into an official T-Mobile store to upgrade a second phone, and they verified the exact same information. I'm sure your experiences differ, but from everything I've been told, T-Mobile is very aware of and completely cool with this situation. At what point in this story am I running away laughing sinisterly, having 'gotten away' with anything?

This might not be common in your area, but as I said, the wireless store at the mall hooks up about half their BlackBerry upgrades this way. I doubt they'd still be in business (or, at least not as a licensed T-Mobile affiliate) if what they were doing was so "against the rules." Plus, again, the official T-Mobile store concurred with this policy, and happily did the same exact thing for a second line / phone. So in your book, I should run back and yell at all of them (plus some phone support reps) that they don't know how to do their jobs, and I'm better informed about their jobs than they are because... "dc/dc on the internet told me so?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Also, how do you figure that I'm anonymous? I've been here 5 years and several thousand valid, factual, helpful posts longer than you have.
No offense, but you're text text on a screen, apparently physically located halfway around the world from me, without any authority except perhaps in this forum; without any knowledge save your personal experience. I'm sorry if I take the word of those with the actual control over my account, locally employed by my phone company over your opinion.

And while I'm sure you've had several thousand factual, helpful posts in this particular forum, this doesn't strike me as one of your more pleasant or enlightening. You've assigned yourself the task of 'fixing' a non-problem because for some reason it irritates you enough to accuse me of being dishonest and wishing me ill will I didn't comment here to provide some sort of outlet for your frustrations or misery, I did so relevantly in reply to the OP, who asked about cheaper data plan coverage. Hasn't this thread been cr@pped on enough? Fine, let me wave a great big "YMMV" disclaimer, and we can all move on, okay?
Offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Noodle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: British Columbia
Model: 8520
OS: 5.0.0.509
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 2,021
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

A lot of dealers and misinformed reps do do things against the rules, and those stores do not get shut down. I spend most of my day cleaning up someone elses mess, so I know first hand.

Most of the time I don't get the call until a bill cycle has past and it's too late to reverse the damages.
Offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredPC View Post
So, once again, you know best- more than those employed by T-Mobile- because...?



I don't know that I'm "skirting" any policy. In fact, I have a lot of evidence to the contrary. I walked into a T-Mobile affiliate store, and was told the requirements needed to upgrade a phone. I did so with no problem. I then walked into an official T-Mobile store to upgrade a second phone, and they verified the exact same information. I'm sure your experiences differ, but from everything I've been told, T-Mobile is very aware of and completely cool with this situation. At what point in this story am I running away laughing sinisterly, having 'gotten away' with anything?

This might not be common in your area, but as I said, the wireless store at the mall hooks up about half their BlackBerry upgrades this way. I doubt they'd still be in business (or, at least not as a licensed T-Mobile affiliate) if what they were doing was so "against the rules." Plus, again, the official T-Mobile store concurred with this policy, and happily did the same exact thing for a second line / phone. So in your book, I should run back and yell at all of them (plus some phone support reps) that they don't know how to do their jobs, and I'm better informed about their jobs than they are because... "dc/dc on the internet told me so?"



No offense, but you're text text on a screen, apparently physically located halfway around the world from me, without any authority except perhaps in this forum; without any knowledge save your personal experience. I'm sorry if I take the word of those with the actual control over my account, locally employed by my phone company over your opinion.

And while I'm sure you've had several thousand factual, helpful posts in this particular forum, this doesn't strike me as one of your more pleasant or enlightening. You've assigned yourself the task of 'fixing' a non-problem because for some reason it irritates you enough to accuse me of being dishonest and wishing me ill will I didn't comment here to provide some sort of outlet for your frustrations or misery, I did so relevantly in reply to the OP, who asked about cheaper data plan coverage. Hasn't this thread been cr@pped on enough? Fine, let me wave a great big "YMMV" disclaimer, and we can all move on, okay?
Wow. I'm sorry you typed all that. All you had to say was, "My eyes are glued shut and my mind is closed." That would have said the same thing in less words.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 22
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
A lot of dealers and misinformed reps do do things against the rules, and those stores do not get shut down. I spend most of my day cleaning up someone elses mess, so I know first hand.

Most of the time I don't get the call until a bill cycle has past and it's too late to reverse the damages.
As I stated previously, the billing cycle has passed without issue. In fact, looking at the actual paper bill, it has a little "REQ" next to the $14.99 Unlimited Texting plan, indicating that (just as everyone has told me) it is the required service for having a Blackberry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
All you had to say was, "My eyes are glued shut and my mind is closed." That would have said the same thing in less words.
As opposed to you, who are so open minded and willing to accept new information?
Offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

It sounds more like a glitch in their system.

So, do you get full data, etc.,?
Offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 22
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
It sounds more like a glitch in their system.

So, do you get full data, etc.,?
Absolutely not. I can just use Wifi access, as I intended all along. The default BB apps (AIM, Visual Voicemail, etc) do not work even so- they come up with the "Data Plan is Required" upsell / error. But the built-in browser works fine (switching from web2go to the hotspot setting) and all my favorite third party apps (Pandora, Beejive, Gmail, etc) all work great. When I'm on the go, I usually just need a phone. I'll play on the web at home. Besides, since winning that new 16GB MicroSD card on eBay for $27 shipped, I have plenty of music and movies to keep me occupied if I'm bored in an office somewhere
Offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Ok. So you don't even need full data or the BlackBerry browser for your playtime apps.
Offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 22
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Ok. So you don't even need full data or the BlackBerry browser for your playtime apps.
I'm pretty sure I use the BlackBerry browser itself (if I've read everything correctly, the web2go vs hotspot setting just changes where the data comes from), but no, the apps I use just require a TCP/IP connection, not a BIS data plan. This has been only slightly limiting- one weather app refuses to run (can't find a data connection), but most everything else third party just uses any internet access it finds.
Offline  
Old 02-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 7250
OS: 4.1
PIN: G!!!
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,030
Post Thanks: 51
Thanked 304 Times in 292 Posts
Default

T-Mobile relies heavily on TCP/IP settings for things like the TZones data plan (generic). You can get non-BlackBerry data on a plan like TZones, but not BB email, BBM, etc.

If you wan't all the great features that make a BlackBerry a BlackBerry however, you're going to need that BlackBerry Data Plan.
Offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #31 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
pootshwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm living proof that AT&T does not require a data plan with BB. Maybe it's because I have the 8310.

Last edited by pootshwan : 03-29-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #32 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootshwan View Post
I'm living proof that AT&T does not require a data plan with BB. Maybe it's because I have the 8310.
So, give it time, review your bill often.
Offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #33 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
pootshwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I review (and pay) my bill online every month and nothing has changed. It's been like this for close to 2 full years. I've had the BB since July 2008, a month before I joined this forum.
Offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #34 (permalink)
EPIC MOD
 
ezrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Model: ZED10
OS: DOS 3.1
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 12,214
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

is it an ATT branded BB or from another carrier and unlocked? ATT does sweep accts and if you have a data device they have the right per your TOS to add the appropriate data feature
__________________
ZED 10
Offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #35 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
pootshwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It is an AT&T branded phone. No gimmicks. Signed a 2 year plan with them almost 2 years ago and I was on a plan they actually don't offer anymore to just anyone. It's now called the "Senior Plan" or something close to it. (They verify you're over 65 years of age) It was only $29.99/month. That's relevant information because I wasn't even the person that switched my line off the plan, an AT&T rep switched me off the senior plan onto another low cost plan. $39.99/month is currently what I'm paying with included 500 text messages/month. It's been this way for well over a year.

Last edited by pootshwan : 03-29-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
TBOLTRAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Model: 4S
OS: 7.0.4
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 5,214
Post Thanks: 67
Thanked 105 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Getting a BlackBerry without a data plan is sorta like buying a Mercedes Benz without wheels and tires. Sure you look good sitting in it but you ain't going anywhere.

Without a data plan the use of internet, email and gps is extremely limited at best assuming that your phone supports Wi-Fi. Why spend the money on any smart phone and not get a data plan? As I said earlier in this thread, if you ain't got the money then you should either have a basic phone or no cell phone at all.
__________________
We will spend our old age surrounded by idiots following government rules.
Offline  
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
pootshwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That's like asking why buy a corvette if you're not going to drive 150 mph? Why does anyone buy a Hummer...? Why buy a wireless mouse/keyboard if your not going further than the cord can reach? Why buy carpenter jeans if you're not going to carry tools with you?

People buy nice things for luxury. I don't see how this is hard to understand. If I owned a corvette I'd definitely drive it around but I'd probably never drive 150 mph just because I own a corvette. Collect-ability. If I owned a hummer, sure I'd drive it, but would I really need its 'High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle' capabilities? I don't think so. Why do an extremely large percentage of the people that buy wireless mice/keyboards never even go further than a wired mouse/keyboard can reach? Luxury. Why do people buy carpenter Jeans? According to you: what a ridiculous thing to buy...why not just buy regular jeans? Style. Comfort maybe?

Do I need to keep going? I didn't think so....

Last edited by pootshwan : 03-30-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
aiharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida Panhandle
Model: Z10
OS: 10.2.1
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 13,715
Post Thanks: 15
Thanked 499 Times in 486 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Pretty sure of yourself for having put forth a flawed anology. Not once, but over and over.

To use your Corvette example, we see, repeatedly, the new forum member who is like the person who has leased a nice car and finds out, to his dismay, that the lease doesn't include fuel and insurance. Morever, they think they are being cheated! "You mean I'm paying all this money and I gotta pay for gas and insurance too? What a ripoff!"

Yeah, there are people using a blackberry without a blackberry data plan who know the situation and have made an informed choice. But they are different. They don't complain, and they don't expect to use a service without paying for it.

The fact remains that the blackberry device is the hardware appliance for the blackberry services. Without the data plan the blackberry is a good cell phone and an ok PDA. If that's what a person wants, more power to them; but do your homework and be prepared to live with the limitations.
__________________
- Ira

Last edited by aiharkness : 03-30-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Offline  
Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Noodle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: British Columbia
Model: 8520
OS: 5.0.0.509
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 2,021
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I like the way aiharkness put it
__________________
Superfast Superfast
I come in last, but just in time for breakfast.
Keep it through, Keep it through, forever
blue.
Offline  
Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 7250
OS: 4.1
PIN: G!!!
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,030
Post Thanks: 51
Thanked 304 Times in 292 Posts
Default

Trying to wheeze data services that everyone else pays for, like proper adults, just plain sucks.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.