BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rants-raves-forum/)
-   -   Constructive Criticism.... BB vs iPhone 4, Evo, Incredible... etc (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rants-raves-forum/228415-constructive-criticism-bb-vs-iphone-4-evo-incredible-etc.html)

BUC 06-09-2010 12:08 AM

Constructive Criticism.... BB vs iPhone 4, Evo, Incredible... etc
 
I was not sure where to put my rant.... anyway

I have loved Blackberry ever since I had my Pearl Flip (so that has to say a lot given the nature of that device)

After a year with the flip, I've been closely surrounded by curves though I never cared for them.... so I waited for the Storm 2 to come to fruictition and gave it a shot.... To this day I still love it, and frequently show it off among iphone users, and use my fully functional bluetooth headphones with it and all........
I love all my 70+ apps, the keyboard/surepress, the camera, the music player and of course email and IM which made BB popular... I would never trade my Storm 2 for a 3GS....

But it is mid 2010 and iPhone & Android control the smartphone future... (I know that market share says it different, but its the pattern)

HTC Evo is out and iPhone 4 is about to be ready to sell... so what does have RIM to compete with that?

9800? 9700 Delta? 9650? 9300?... pleaseee...

I recently watched the 17 minutes video in chinese about BB OS 6... and after being kinda excited due to previous ads, I felt dissapointed by this in depth video...

Its certainly an improvement but I felt that is still lagging behind... I want proves that it can be installed on 9550/9520, 9700... but I already read some rumors that stated OS 6 requires around 200mb of internal memory so that would leave almost memoryless devices such as mine with 256 mb....

A way to avoid this would be for OS 6 to allow install third party apps on microSDHC or secondary memory such as the 2 GB of internal "media" memory that the Storm 2 has (which I still dont understand why it is not blend with regular 256 mb)

I have more concern about the hardware... I am tired of small-baby-step-upgrades that goes from 2MP to 3.2 to 5.... or internal app memory from 64 -> 128 ->192 -> 256 COME ON give me at least 4GB!!! and a Snapdragon processor....

having HTC phones with display of around 260 ppi of pixel density and now the iPhone with its 326 ppi.... (even when I think that much pixels is ridiculous) it made me a little jealous...
Cameras between 5 and 8 mp are the norm now
Front facing camera on both Evo and iPhone 4
Digital compass is not even new... but its nowhere near a BB phone...
Even simple things that I though I was going to get with Storm 2 such as stereo speakerphone (I initially though it was located at the bottom AND top of the unit) is not here yet.

I am also aware that many executives care very little for this type of phone, or do they?

Many co-workers at my office carry the company's BB and their own iPhone... and today I was told by some of them that they already pre-order the iPhone 4...

So where is the innovation and appealing for a regular guy to drop an iPhone and replace it with a BB?
Because I now some that was drop iPhone for an Android phone... but there are very few that goes BB looking for a SMARTphone...

At this point I feel that there are dumbphones, smartphones and somewhere in between BB is slowly trying to mantain its IQ level...

This is a (probably useless) plea for a surprise from RIM.... come on, blow our minds....



Please dont get me wrong.... I love all the features that most BB has over any iPhone, like standard connections, full BT profiles, microSDHC, removable battery, enough physical buttons and dedicated camera button... I am the autor of a SlideShow comparing Storm2 vs iPhone and showing the PROS...
But RIM needs to make a huge leap forward to caught the attention of potential iPhone and Android buyers... thats where the future market is... not in the hand of frustrated executives....

Dubdub 06-09-2010 05:52 AM

Moved to a more appropriate section.
Each of the devices you mention have their niche and their own following. If you want a business tool, then the BB is still number 1 in my opinion. If you want a toy, then one of the others would probably fit that role.

BUC 06-09-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1616530)
Moved to a more appropriate section.
Each of the devices you mention have their niche and their own following. If you want a business tool, then the BB is still number 1 in my opinion. If you want a toy, then one of the others would probably fit that role.

You know, when you use the word "tool" what image comes to mind? To me is a pocket knife... And what's the best pocket knife? The one that can be use for all purposes. Now I see your point that specialization to a niche is what fits better, I am a Rock Climber and my favorite pocket knife is one that has a big blade on one side, a carabiner on the other, and some extra tools like screwdriver........ To other person a big plie leatherman style would be more useful....... But the point is that if you can fit all those features into a single, pocket sized knife that works great all around, you stop selling to niche and start selling to everybody.

As for the toy comment, yes I want a toy, among my beloved business tool. I already said I love my Storm2 and I'm not switching any time soon. But as with sport cars, smartphones have become a "toy for boys" (and girls, just making the analogy work). So when many niche close minded want a device that send and receive emails, I want that and more, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

Between the reasons I bought the storm, one of them was to be able to watch a movie or show on the go so I didn't have to take my old Archos player.
And while the BB is decent for this purpose, it bothers me that video is display in only 1 position (I'm guessing they turn off the accelerometer to save energy), also you have no "full screen" and having audio coming only from the right side in landscape is annoying.

I think you failed to see the point of my original post. I am not bashing BB, all I'm saying is that they need to step up the game without failing to deliver the messaging and email features they currently do. Because when apple or google catch up in the business area, RIM is gonna be regretful.

Remember that many electronic devices are converging more and more into a single device. This is been happening almost right after beginning of the cellphone.

So if the future is keep blending devices, why not make 1 that can be a business tool, a toy, a video player, a music player (I love BB for this already), a good camera, and so on......

Belive me I do not drink cool aid. I have never own any type of ipod because I now there have always been something better. But I must say that the BB is not the best device out there right now. Its king at what it does best, but for how long?

NJBlackBerry 06-09-2010 07:56 AM

You are assuming that you are RIM's only market. There are millions of business people who use their BlackBerrys every day for e-mail only. They are a substantial part. I NEVER use my BB (and I've had virtually every GSM BB known to mankind) as the screen is too small. Fit for purpose.

Google gave up making their own hardware. Android is nice. Apple has a very loyal base of fanatics who would buy something called iCrap.

It will take Apples years (if ever) to build business relationships. They don't care. It's part of their business plan.

kathrynhr 06-09-2010 08:03 AM

Dubdub is right. Particularly for businesses that want control over what users can/can't do with their phones and the business information on them - which many companies need to do - Blackberry is king. I don't see that changing anytime soon, if ever. Neither the iPhone nor Android have made any sort of foray into enterprise solutions. If they did, they'd definitely be playing catch-up for a long time. That entire market is RIM's home turf, and it's theirs to lose.

That said, I recently traded my Curve (personal phone) for an Evo. The biggest reason for my switch is that I find myself needing to perform more and more web-based tasks, and since I spend more than 2 hours a day commuting (car pool or bus), I wanted a device that would be easier to use for online work than existing choices were - my portable Curve with its handicapped browser, or my too-heavy-for-a-pregnant-woman laptop. Now I can take care of all my online business easily and comfortably before I get home. I feel like it's saving me a boatload of time.

I don't think you're comparing apples to apples when you compare a Blackberry to an Evo or iPhone. Neither do I think anyone can rightfully say that X is better than Y. You can only say that X is better than Y for the things you do every day, and is therefore the better choice for you.

BUC 06-09-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1616580)

I don't think you're comparing apples to apples when you compare a Blackberry to an Evo or iPhone. Neither do I think anyone can rightfully say that X is better than Y. You can only say that X is better than Y for the things you do every day, and is therefore the better choice for you.

you just proved my point. Let me start saying that I am no assuming I am the entire market. What I was trying to say was that I take myself as example but I'm also keeping in mind the people I see at the ofice, at the gym, in the streets and friends.

I am no comparing anything. That's the reason my thread was moved from BB Vs to Rants. I am only stating that RIM needs a high end device to compete with the phone you just bough. If there was a satisfying web experience or enough apps or high end hardware on one of BBs model then there would be more people buying bbs instead of a choice between androids phones.

For the millions of people who use email only, great so be it. But in my office there are many people walking around with 2 phones! Mostly a BB on BES and the other an iphone. I'm not saying I agree with them I think I made that very clear. What I lm saying is that there should be a blackberry that fit those people and offer both BB features AND high end features such as the EVO.

Why is that so hard to understand.

dc/dc 06-10-2010 03:10 AM

The 9800 is that device in my opinion.

ArgonNJ 06-11-2010 08:32 PM

I love how anything other then a BB is a toy to all the fanboys here. Well here is my take on the BB. Its a glorified pager. Maybe someday when you guys wake up out of your RIM induced coma, you will realize that.

NJBlackBerry 06-11-2010 08:45 PM

You must have given up your spot at the mother ship Apple store to post that.
You calling anyone a fanboy is comical.

dc/dc 06-12-2010 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1617592)
I love how anything other then a BB is a toy to all the fanboys here. Well here is my take on the BB. Its a glorified pager. Maybe someday when you guys wake up out of your RIM induced coma, you will realize that.


ArgonNJ 06-12-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1617731)

Thank you, I humbly accept my award :razz:

NJBlackBerry 06-12-2010 08:03 AM

I'm sure it is not the first of this kind you've won.
Congratulations. Keep up the poor work.

wayneholbrook 06-30-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1617737)
Thank you, I humbly accept my award :razz:

I completly agree with you, I cant help but read the humor in these post. You guys that are the real fanboys are out of your minds. Anyone that has an issue with BB you guys destroy them. Ive seen this over and over throughout the years on this site.

Just because they dont agree with you, doesnt make them wrong. I happen to agree with "ArgonNJ". BB is like an old commadore 64, get with the times. A phone should do more than just email. The funny thing is that the iphone handles emails and exchange ten times better, so I laugh everytime one of you BB's brainwashed users talk about email.

I too had a BB for years, but saw the light and headed for what I call new technolgy, you guys try and defend this paper weight all you can, but in the end all it can do is email and text and is out done in that as well.

All you people do is talk about security, security, what do you guys work for the pentagon? give me a break. How about the BB servers going down constantly, how is that for business?

How about your OS, its like Charlie Brown created it back in the 60's. I read the best title not to long ago, Blackberry is the new Palm.

I got a good old beeper for you guys if you want one, keep up with the times and stop ragging people trying to give another side to these post because they dont have the same love affair you have with BB's.

BRING IT!!!!!!

jsconyers 06-30-2010 08:40 AM

Let me ask you a question, do you use your BB for personal use or for work?

When it comes to enterprise, nothing beats BlackBerry/BES. How easily you can control the device via BES and IT Policies. Nothing comes close.

I am not only a BlackBerry Administrator but a PDA Administrator. This means I manager all kinds of devices including BlackBerry, iPhone, Android, Palm (WebOS included), Windows Mobile, etc. I have a BES, Notify Link Server, GroupWise Mobile Server, and now Novell DataSync Beta. Nothing, I mean NOTHING, seriously even comes close to BlackBerry and BES in regards to control over the device and security via IT Policies.

Having said that, I have an HTC EVO and while I do like it, there are more things other than email that the BlackBerry does better. Battery life is by far better on the BlackBerry. Notifications are better on the BlackBerry, more customizable without having do install 3rd party applications. Exceptions on you contacts is unmatched on the BlackBerry.

This is the same song and dance every time, Find the device that works for you and be happy.

BUC 06-30-2010 03:30 PM

The reason I started this thread was because, first, I love my blackberry and in my country almost everyone use them as personal devices so pin and bbm are almost a must.

Secondly is because I truly put my gadgets to the test and squeeze every little bit of features they have, and while the Storm 2 is, to me, the one that fits better to my needs, I still wish it would do more.

And by more I mean in the hardware and os department. For instance I would love to have video out like most smartphones of today. Also more people developing apps. Also ability to install apps to the sd card or the internal media memory of the storm.

And many more dreams that other manufacturers are making a reality except rim.

So this was just a wake up call without the intention to bring upset fanboys and trash me down. Its just to make people realize that our bbs could be better that's it

DZD 07-04-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUC (Post 1616658)
you just proved my point. Let me start saying that I am no assuming I am the entire market. What I was trying to say was that I take myself as example but I'm also keeping in mind the people I see at the ofice, at the gym, in the streets and friends.

I am no comparing anything. That's the reason my thread was moved from BB Vs to Rants. I am only stating that RIM needs a high end device to compete with the phone you just bough. If there was a satisfying web experience or enough apps or high end hardware on one of BBs model then there would be more people buying bbs instead of a choice between androids phones.

For the millions of people who use email only, great so be it. But in my office there are many people walking around with 2 phones! Mostly a BB on BES and the other an iphone. I'm not saying I agree with them I think I made that very clear. What I lm saying is that there should be a blackberry that fit those people and offer both BB features AND high end features such as the EVO.

Why is that so hard to understand.

This sums it up the best and I for one understand. I love my 9700 but look longingly at the HTC EVO, iPhone (yes, iPhone) 3GS/4; etc. I am looking forward to the 9800 - hopefully it will be the all in one device - I want to have my cake and eat it too - business and "toy".

Truth be told - I have a 9700 (and prior blackberrys) because my company supplies me with one - I'm not sure what device I would have if they offered others.

Of course the other side of the argument is that due to RIM's compression they are much less of a network hog and will do very well in emerging markets - I'm sure they will always continue to offer email/messenger centric devices - I'm just looking to having more choices in the "top end" of their model range.

Peace.

8-)

darkamikaze 07-08-2010 02:49 AM

I'm really hoping the 9800 is that device D: .. :) here's to hoping for that particular device that can offer all our needs and to 6.0 that can hopefully deliver bananaz of awesomeness!

psxiloveyou 07-09-2010 10:35 PM

I get what you're saying by your post...

I love my blackberry storm.
I got my first blackberry when they released the pearl on tmobile.. and I got a TMobile account just to get it so I could unlock it to have it on at&t.

I've had three blackberry pearls
two curves
pearl flip unlocked
and I'm using a storm 9530 unlocked on at&t


I just wish I had more memory on my phone because I'm sick of my phone lagging or freezing up to the point where I have to do a battery pull! On top of that, I'm sick of not having 3G. I'm using EDGE because of my storm being unlocked. I want a touch screen phone though. I love my blackberry. But I can load one page and then have to wait 10 minutes to load the next page because it switches from EDGE to edge.

But I was playing with my dad's Motorola Droid and I love how fast the phone loads apps or pages. The browser is just flat out nice. I only have the necessary apps on my phone that I use. I'm below 5mb and I only have maybe 5 or 6 apps on there that I need. I also have a 2GB memory card for my pictures & music. So I know that doesn't steal the memory.

But RIM does need to step up. I want to stay with RIM but I want the same features as an android. I don't need an iphone 4.. I have an ipod touch... because of farmville. But my dad's phone is so nice to play with and my storm, needs something new to it. I think RIM should concentrate on their business users in majority, but also think of other customers too. I'm a college student. The storm is easy to use.

But the OS needs to be better, there needs to be more touch screen phones as well as originals. A mix of both for every service provider.

edit*// my dad owns his own company. not a small one. he uses the motorola droid. I told him to get the storm or even a blackberry, but the android works better for him with business. so he says.

BallHawk3 07-10-2010 04:30 AM

I don't get it.

How does BB lag behind others? Someone give me an example. Please don't say browser if that's all you can come up with. And I find it funny people keeping saying its the same thing over and over.

This is the 4th gen iPhone. It's really still the same device released in 2007. What's different. Please don't say it has a front facing camera. Really?

And Android? Really...what's different from the first Android device, the G1 vs the EVO? in fact, difference between any Android device. Sense UI, MotoBLUR, touchwiz? Really?!? Hardware...that's it really, processor, memory, camera? Am I missing something? Isn't that a given? Doesn't technology advance every year (or heck, every few months)? They get faster processors, more memory, high res camera, it's a given! Someone is always going to out do someone else.

And please....Android updates, from 1.5->1.6->2.1 etc etc and Apple OS updates are just as excited as well....the BB updating from 4.2->4.3->4.6->5.0! They are proven platforms. It's a no shit, you won't see anything change drastically. Maybe looking 10 years from now and looking back, than yea you'll notice. It's just like windows operating system, it ain't that different. Just a skin. But if you want to look at windows 3.1 or something vs Windows 7, that's about what....20 year difference?

I'd sometimes wish RIM would just make a full touch screen device, with a dual core 2.0ghz processor, 2GB of RAM, 12MP camera, and slap a BB sticker on it just so people could shut up. Just sounds like penis envy or something.

I just really hope phones don't start becoming like computers. Obsolete after 6 months. Heck, contracts are 2 years. If your going to switch your phone out every 6 months, are you actually even using your phone or just playing with it?!?

psxiloveyou 07-10-2010 09:01 AM

That's just it though.... browser, camera, processor, memory!

Androids & iPhones, as many apps as you want basically

Blackberry you're limited on to how many apps you can have. I use a lot of apps, but I can't have them all because I run out of memory way too fast.
poooool
I end up have lag problems and my phone freezes up. I just installed quickpull and memory booster pro to see if I can't solve any of this.

I'm also tired of having to do battery pulls all of the time.

but that fact that my phone freezes up with maybe one or two things running in the background, is the number one issue for me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.