BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 7100
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry T-MobileWeb False Advertising

Please Login to Remove!

For those of you who are not familiar with T-MobileWeb, it is T-Mobile's cheapest data plan and it provides access to wap pages, basic email features, and some content like weather and news. However, recently T-MobileWeb's port filter was fully removed and a PocketPC or Smartphone user can now fully access HTML webpages, use IM, etc... for only $5.99 a month!

Notice that I mentioned PocketPC and Smartphone but not Blackberry!

Despite the fact that when you log-in to your My T-Mobile page and select a Blackberry device as your phone the option to add T-MobileWeb service to your account wil be first on the list, this service is absolutely incompatible with the Blackberry! Due to the service book system, you will not be able to even access ANY of the T-MobileWeb pages or features from a blackberry unless you pay the Blackberry service plan fees ($19.99).

A T-Mobile customer service rep. recently told me that I will be able to use T-MobileWeb with my 8700g. That is false advertising!

My friend is surfing the web on his T-Mobile MDA for $5.99 a month, and I, simply because I have a different device that T-Mobile can exercise more control over, need to pay $19.99 a month! That is just not fair especially that they are advertising the cheaper service to me!

I reported the issue to the FCC and hopefully I will get an answer soon.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 02:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
secrecyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California, USA
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 1,238
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Unless it's written down, it's not false advertisement. They can always say he made a mistake.

That's new to me about they removing the port filter from the $5.99 T-mobile Web. I am guessing the reason they did that is because people were complaining about paying $29.99 extra per month when they do not want Hot Spots.

hmmm... maybe I should change cell phones now...
__________________
What OS are you using on the smartphone? Please vote! http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1437055
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 7100
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default But it is...

It is writted down... When I select my Blackberry as a device, I get the option of T-MobileWeb. The description clearly states:

"Search the mobile web, find directions to the places you want to go, get local, international and financial news, stock quotes, weather, sports, play online games, email, community chat and more, right at your fingertips anywhere you go."

But it delivers none of that on a Blackberry.

I am trying to have them do something about this, if not I am going to get a T-Mobile MDA. Afterall, I need video capabilities for my work.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CanuckBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YYZ
Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,183
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Those pages are not usually smart enough to filter features by phone type. Unless the feature says that it is supported on all phones, don't assume it is.

The BB data plan IS different because it goes through RIM's infrastructure.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 7100
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I disagree with that as well... If you select a T-Mobile MDA the T-MobileWeb is not an option you can get. Additionally, if you can manually edit the service books or have T-Mobile send you edited service books you will be able to use T-MobileWeb (also known as T-Zones).

If you look at your device programs you can see the T-Zones browser that will attempt to connect to T-Mobiles's WAP APN, but due to the service book limitation it will fail.

Just because T-Mobile tells you it can't happen, that doesnt make it so! With enough "pressure" they will do something about it. Afterall, this is a software not a hardware issue.

Last edited by ProvingGrounds : 01-02-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 1,475
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

If you want a BB with data access be willing to pay for the BB data plan - $19.99. If not, get a PDA.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 7100
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
If you want a BB with data access be willing to pay for the BB data plan - $19.99. If not, get a PDA.
I know that but WHY?

Why should a a company restrict you from using all the potentials of the device that you actually did pay for?!
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Pizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 2,385
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Why? Because they can. Sorry, but there's not going to be a response that you're going to be satisfied with.

***Moving to Rants and Raves Forum***
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Chinasaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland/Seattle Megalopolis
Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 317
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is this a joke post? I can never tell ....
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kasperapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,946
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvingGrounds
I know that but WHY?

Why should a a company restrict you from using all the potentials of the device that you actually did pay for?!
The why was already answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
The BB data plan IS different because it goes through RIM's infrastructure.
__________________
CrackBerry

Please try a Search
Offline  
Old 01-12-2007, 01:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Neaples
Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It is not realy like that.If I decide to not get my e-mail through RIM and not paying a RIM plan,then I should be able to pay for a data plan and access internet with my dearly paid Blackberry!
Just because this is a making money model for RIM ,it should not limit the hardwareand is not making it right.If they want to keep it that way, they should provide the devices for free or nearly free.
What if you buy a car ,BMW for argument sake , and if you don't buy gas from BMW you will never be able to drive it?Would you be happy with your purchase?
Just my 2 cents.
Offline  
Old 01-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
blkberryboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dearborn, MI
Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT
Posts: 1,146
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompi
What if you buy a car ,BMW for argument sake , and if you don't buy gas from BMW you will never be able to drive it?Would you be happy with your purchase?
Just my 2 cents.
I would only agree with this in the case that BMW didnt spell out that gas situation before you purchased it. T-Mobile and moreover RIM spell out the guidlines of their service before your purchase. If it is unclear than proper research should be done. You have not been mislead at least in published documents. What is said face to face is hear-say and unless taped inconclusive. In short, do the research, If BMW says you have to use only their gas, and it is understood before the sale is made, my thoughts than are buy Mercedes.
__________________
JASON
iTurned to the darkside.
Offline  
Old 01-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kasperapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,946
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkberryboy
I would only agree with this in the case that BMW didnt spell out that gas situation before you purchased it. T-Mobile and moreover RIM spell out the guidlines of their service before your purchase. If it is unclear than proper research should be done. You have not been mislead at least in published documents. What is said face to face is hear-say and unless taped inconclusive. In short, do the research, If BMW says you have to use only their gas, and it is understood before the sale is made, my thoughts than are buy Mercedes.
I agree 100%. It is known when you purchase a BB that you can only get data using the BB data plans. If for some reason you did not know that, then you did not do your research before purchasing that device.
__________________
CrackBerry

Please try a Search
Offline  
Old 01-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
blakeatl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta area
Model: 8100
OS: 4.5.0.102
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 1,686
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Like Pizzle said.......because they can.
__________________
Build Your Business Even If You Are On A Budget.
Magnetic Sponsoring
Offline  
Old 01-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
BMWLotAttendant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Model: none
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 125
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkberryboy
I would only agree with this in the case that BMW didnt spell out that gas situation before you purchased it. T-Mobile and moreover RIM spell out the guidlines of their service before your purchase. If it is unclear than proper research should be done. You have not been mislead at least in published documents. What is said face to face is hear-say and unless taped inconclusive. In short, do the research, If BMW says you have to use only their gas, and it is understood before the sale is made, my thoughts than are buy Mercedes.
Here is the what I think BMWs answer is to your BMW related question.

Yes, BMW recomends that you only purchase premium gas from gas stations that they authorize. If you do get gas, other than premium AND from an unauthorized gas station, you are at your own risk.

I know for a fact that BMWs and Ethanol are not a good idea at all. Also, Phillips 66, better think twice if you get gas there.

And btw, Mercedes is the SAME way with recomendations about getting gas or using oil.

Everybody has recomendations, I suggest you follow their advice.
Offline  
Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
blkberryboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dearborn, MI
Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT
Posts: 1,146
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have no idea what your talking about, but thanks...
__________________
JASON
iTurned to the darkside.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.