BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tennessee
Model: 7230
PIN: 200EA728
Carrier: Suncom
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Really upset with T-Mobile unlocking policies

Please Login to Remove!

I have read and understand the policies T-Mobile has for unlocking phones. But they seem really backwards to me. They will unlock a several-hundred-dollar blackberry for a customer,(after which they can cancel their account, pay the ETF and switch. Thereby costing T-Mobile a bunch) But here I am with a phone I bought free and clear and they don't want to unlock it.
As I see it, I won't be costing them any money. I can't even use T-Mobile in my area!

I know other's have written it and most here probably dread the mere mention of it, But I believe there should be some sort of class-action suit for those of us who purchased our phones outright, with or without a contract.

Sorry folks, had to vent.
Offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
blakeatl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta area
Model: 8100
OS: 4.5.0.102
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 1,686
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6306/1558; en; U; ssr))

Have you been with them more than 90 days?
__________________
Build Your Business Even If You Are On A Budget.
Magnetic Sponsoring
Offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tennessee
Model: 7230
PIN: 200EA728
Carrier: Suncom
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Um no sorry. I forgot to mention that I bought the handset off ebay. And as per T-mobile rules they refused to provide the codes.(Which makes no sense to me.)
Offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,819
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Sorry...

They have rules that have bene published (many, many times) about their unlocking policies, which are the most liberal of any US based carrier! You have to be a customer in good standing for at least 90 days, and you can only unlock one phone per 90 days.

You may have to pay one of the commercial unlocker to help you.
Offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tennessee
Model: 7230
PIN: 200EA728
Carrier: Suncom
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree that they are very good, for a customer. But I wonder what their rationale is for not doing so for the handsets that are no longer on their network. It doesn't cost them anything, not compared to a Blackberry,(however much their retail is) that is carried away by a customer after they cancel their account and pay their ETF.

I know it's all well known and well documented, but I have already drafted a letter of complaint concerning the issue. Thanks for listening.
Offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,819
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Good luck with the complaint - it may be easier to pay to have it unlocked.
Offline  
Old 01-20-2007, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Coincidentally the local news here in San Francisco had a piece on "unlocked phones." Interviewed people who said how great an unlocked phone is, blah, blah.

Also said that while unlocked phones are very popular in Europe and Japan, very few phones are unlocked in the U.S. Reason: U.S. carriers do not want people having the freedom to use any phone they want because that cuts into people signing contracts to get a phone the person really wants [e.g., the Pearl when it first came out].

This Sunday, the 21st of Jan, they are having a show on U.S. cell phone unfair and unlawful practices. I will be recording it.

Know this does not help you, but at least you know others agree with your rant.
Offline  
Old 01-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,819
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

There are always ways to buy unlocked phones.

I've been buying unlocked phones for years - particularly models that are not available in the US. Buying a locked phone and then complaining about a carrier not unlocking it is silly; if you want to buy an unlocked phone, buy an unlocked phone!

Europeans buy unlocked phones because they cross borders constantly. Many Americans do not. Unlocking a BlackBerry is rarely because you want to use a SIM card from a foreign country in it (need a BlackBerry Dat apla, blah, blah, blah) but because they want to switch carriers. Totally different argument, IMHO.
Offline  
Old 01-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tennessee
Model: 7230
PIN: 200EA728
Carrier: Suncom
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
There are always ways to buy unlocked phones.

I've been buying unlocked phones for years - particularly models that are not available in the US. Buying a locked phone and then complaining about a carrier not unlocking it is silly; if you want to buy an unlocked phone, buy an unlocked phone!

Europeans buy unlocked phones because they cross borders constantly. Many Americans do not. Unlocking a BlackBerry is rarely because you want to use a SIM card from a foreign country in it (need a BlackBerry Dat apla, blah, blah, blah) but because they want to switch carriers. Totally different argument, IMHO.

The reason for my rant is not so much that they won't unlock my phone, but I really want to know their rationale for not unlocking it. As I said above, in a nutshell, I won't cost them revenues but a new subscriber who has just gotten a multi-hundred dollar Blackberry can have theirs unlocked them cancel their contract.

And the only reason I purchased a locked phone was the price, even with an unlocking fee it will have cost way less than a C-note.

P.S. Where does one find out about these mysterious "Not sold in America"
cell phones?

Thanks
Offline  
Old 01-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,819
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

As an example of a Not sold in America phone - I bought a Nokia E61 months before Cingular sold the E62. There are resellers on the Internet who sell cool phones unlocked. You most certainly pay for the priviledge.

I read about the phone, searched for it (Google) and bought it. It even came with a UK power charger (and US power adapter)... Worked fine. And it was unlocked.

Wonder where I put that phone...
Offline  
Old 01-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 125
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macruadhi
The reason for my rant is not so much that they won't unlock my phone, but I really want to know their rationale for not unlocking it. As I said above, in a nutshell, I won't cost them revenues but a new subscriber who has just gotten a multi-hundred dollar Blackberry can have theirs unlocked them cancel their contract.
if they don't unlock it, you may sign up for service from them. They gain nothing by giving you the code. You're probably going to be using it elsewhere. If you were going to use it on Tmobile, you'd sign up and get the code in 90 days.
Offline  
Old 01-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
DallasFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.666
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 1,741
Post Thanks: 30
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macruadhi
And the only reason I purchased a locked phone was the price, even with an unlocking fee it will have cost way less than a C-note.
If that was truly your rationale for buying that particular phone, then why aren't you paying someone to unlock it and getting on with your life, rather than whining to T-Mobile (when you're not even a T-Mobile subscriber), "drafting a letter of complaint" and then coming here to whine and moan more? Doesn't sound very useful to me! You believe there ought to be some kind of class action suit??? Don't be ridiculous! You just stated that you bought the phone cheap, knowing full well that it was locked, AND you've read and understand T-Mobile's policies regarding unlocking! And then you claim that you should be able to take legal action of some kind against T-Mobile? Give me a break!

In the meantime, I'm pretty darn sure that since you're not a customer and don't intend to be a customer, no one at T-Mobile is losing any sleep over the fact that you're "really upset" with them and are "drafting a letter of complaint".
__________________
Top 50 Year Win%: Nebraska-.785 tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740
Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The HUSKER Tradition!

Last edited by DallasFlier : 01-20-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Offline  
Old 01-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Soapm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Mile Hi City
Model: 9780
OS: 6.0
Carrier: TMO
Posts: 2,790
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macruadhi
The reason for my rant is not so much that they won't unlock my phone, but I really want to know their rationale for not unlocking it. As I said above, in a nutshell, I won't cost them revenues but a new subscriber who has just gotten a multi-hundred dollar Blackberry can have theirs unlocked them cancel their contract.

Thanks
It's like walking into Burger King and asking them to put Mayo on your Big Mac. Why would they do anything for you and you didn't put anything in the register? As was stated before, there are companies who will take your money and unlock your phone. Otherwise, sell this one on eBay and buy one that's unlocked.
Offline  
Old 01-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tennessee
Model: 7230
PIN: 200EA728
Carrier: Suncom
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
If that was truly your rationale for buying that particular phone, then why aren't you paying someone to unlock it and getting on with your life, rather than whining to T-Mobile (when you're not even a T-Mobile subscriber), "drafting a letter of complaint" and then coming here to whine and moan more? Doesn't sound very useful to me! You believe there ought to be some kind of class action suit??? Don't be ridiculous! You just stated that you bought the phone cheap, knowing full well that it was locked, AND you've read and understand T-Mobile's policies regarding unlocking! And then you claim that you should be able to take legal action of some kind against T-Mobile? Give me a break!

In the meantime, I'm pretty darn sure that since you're not a customer and don't intend to be a customer, no one at T-Mobile is losing any sleep over the fact that you're "really upset" with them and are "drafting a letter of complaint".

My, you seem even more bitter than I! I came here to "whine and moan" just to vent, and to find out what other's think. And maybe just because I believe that I should own exclusive rights to what ever I purchase, as long as I have not given away that right by signing a contract.

As for my "class action suit" comment, I am not the first or only one saying such things: Cell phone firms sued over 'lock' codes - Games - MSNBC.com
I probably will pay to have it unlocked, but not until after I have tried complaning to T-mobile. (Why pay when a little fussing first might get it done free!)

And lastly, how sad is it that you found it necessary to reply to both of my posts, (written several days apart) in such a confrontational manner

That said, have a good day and Slainte.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.