BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City
Model: 8800
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Does T-Mobile charge for Int'l usage of BB msgr??

Please Login to Remove!

My friend seems to think that he got charged a fee for sent and received BB messenger messages while traveling internationally, i.e. in Germany. He does have the $20 international data plan.

I am in Europe as i write this and have used BB msgr internationally before without being charged. I am now somewhat concerned as I do use it quite frequently and don't wanna get hit with a huge bill when i come back. I did get the int'l data add-on. I tried to search the forum and the net but couldn't find any indication that TMO would charge for it. If so, it would be a very recent development.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks much.
__________________
Best,

Nick
Offline  
Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Data rates

You will be charged whatever the carriers roaming data rates are. If you have an international data plan then you get charged whatever your data rates are for international travel. Its just data nothing special
Offline  
Old 01-12-2009, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City
Model: 8800
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Did you read my post before answering? It seems you didn't.
__________________
Best,

Nick
Offline  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.0.822
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 114
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruechel View Post
I am in Europe as i write this and have used BB msgr internationally before without being charged. I am now somewhat concerned as I do use it quite frequently and don't wanna get hit with a huge bill when i come back. I did get the int'l data add-on.
Let's be clear: I didn't know that TMO had an international data add on. I know they had an international EMAIL add on. My answer below is based on the assumption you have the email add on.

Technically speaking, BB Messenger is using data. You do not have an an international data plan. In theory, you should be charged for that.

While your mileage may vary, our family spends significant time in Turkey with a TMO BB with an email add on. We've *never* been charged for the many many PINs we send back and forth. Technically we should be charged - but we've never had a single penny added on.

My personal guess - based on no verifiable data whatsoever? Unless you eat up gobs of data while overseas, the local carrier will not charge TMO back.
Offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruechel View Post
Did you read my post before answering? It seems you didn't.
The answer is still valid -- BBM is data like any other BB data and cannot be billed separately. However, consider that TMO's international plan is technically an "email" plan. People's experiences seem to vary on whether all data is included or not if you bother to search. I was never charged for international data when I traveled with the TMO international email plan but, as I said, YMMV.
Offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LAX, NYC, CHI, STL, BOS, PHL
Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint
Posts: 863
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruechel View Post
My friend seems to think that he got charged a fee for sent and received BB messenger messages while traveling internationally, i.e. in Germany. He does have the $20 international data plan.

I am in Europe as i write this and have used BB msgr internationally before without being charged. I am now somewhat concerned as I do use it quite frequently and don't wanna get hit with a huge bill when i come back. I did get the int'l data add-on. I tried to search the forum and the net but couldn't find any indication that TMO would charge for it. If so, it would be a very recent development.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks much.

is it possible that your friend might have been sending/receiving SMS/MMS instead of BBM? . . . those are billed on a per message basis.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.