| This is an old thread. |
BlackBerryOS already went beyond 220.127.116.11
Please see newer thread.
Observations of BlackberryOS 18.104.22.168 on my handheld (No, I did not get this version from this website from the post in General forum. No, I can't tell you where I got it, unfortunately. I can't even say if I downloaded or installed the OS myself. However, it should be out soon enough) New Features from my testing:
- TCP/IP stack on all Blackberries including 7280! (no BES/MDS needed). (Carrier must be using new version of BWC, it still acts as a gateway, essentially MDS is now being built into BWC but RIM is now calling it a TCP/IP stack).
- New Blackberry corporate logo
- Themeable "Options -> Theme" Came only with one theme.
- New "Options -> TCP" with configurable APN/user/password.
- Configurable Browser Push capability "Options -> Browser Push"
- Slightly bigger font for carrier name (white on blue)
- Font size (and font) is now configurable in Web Browser separately of the rest of the handheld
- You can search the whole PIM. Calendar too. (select Search to search one or more of: Message, Calendar, Addressbook, Memopad, Tasks)
- Backlight timeout is configurable "Options -> Screen/Keyboard" to be up to 1 minute. (Sorry, no auto backlight power-on upon typing)
- Faster full duplex operation. Background transmissions no longer slow down the Blackberry nearly as much. You can chat more easily simultaneously with incoming chats without your typing pausing as much (like in telnet, IRC, instant messaging)
- Turning on/off checkboxes can be done by clicking thumbwheel now (less confusing) New Apps that appears to have appeared:
- Blackberry Web Browser now shows up on all Blackberries without BES/MDS
- Password Keeper (a password wallet application)
- Picture application (Appears to be something to do with Screensaver Image, and Background Image in Main Screen)
- Brickbreaker now a full Arkanoid-like game with background graphics, ball-bounce animations, and a few more mini-special-effects Fixed from what I can gather:
- Now works with Idokorro MobileSSH (22.214.171.124)
- Over-The-Air activation ("Enterprise Activation" icon)
- Three rows of icons back (rather than being reduced to two in 126.96.36.199), 188.8.131.52 main menu now looks similiar to my previous 184.108.40.206.
- Antialiasing greatly improved, doesn't make font blocky anymore.
- My favourite font MillibankTall / BBMillibankTall merged into a scalable font that looks exactly the same as the good old MillibankTall font. (I use 10-point Millibank Tall, just love that readable type). Thanks for bringing it back in 220.127.116.11, I guess RIM got complaints about 18.104.22.168 Bugs:
- Minor redraw bug: In the Main Menu, hold Alt+Thumbwheel to bring the Move Icon menu up, then click the Esc button. The background under the menu does not redraw. (To force it to rerdraw, just enter-and-exit a Blackberry application)
- Selecting "Messages -> Thumbwheel Click -> Options -> Email Reconcilation" displays error message "Uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented."
- BES/MDS server still sends duplicate incoming packets in Idokorro MobileSSH, if you RIM employees are reading this, it's RIM Bug Tracking system RQST00000604486.
All in all, 22.214.171.124 is now stable enough with a few minor bugs, and is an OS that's going to stay on my Blackberry 7280
I now fully believe that RIM's estimate of September-November is an accurate milestone, based on the stability of my 126.96.36.199 in my own Blackberry.