BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 12:17 AM   #41 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mo
Posts: 154
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

We like to be... "special."

What's this metric system thing, again?
Offline  
Old 04-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #42 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphr0deity
We like to be... "special."

What's this metric system thing, again?
Yeah, special like Jerry's Kids.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 06:04 AM   #43 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: L.A. and NY
Model: 9900
OS: 7.0.0.540
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 184
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_T
WCDMA 2100 will not be needed in the US. I hope that 8707 is for real!!

Would love to see a UTMS Blackberry soon.
Well, I do not think the 8707 is intended for the US market. And, as it should be released imminently, UMTS is not mature enough in the US for them to have it as a UMTS 1900 device.

So, now, I will carry 2 Blackberrys -- one for the US (8700), and one for when I am in Japan (8707), in particular, as there is NO GSM netowrk there , as Europe UMTS and Japan WCDMA (both 2100) are compatible. I just am not sure how to be a ble to have 2 devices and 1 BIS/BES -- I guess I7ll address that bridge when it happens
__________________
Thanks,

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #44 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris
Well, I do not think the 8707 is intended for the US market. And, as it should be released imminently, UMTS is not mature enough in the US for them to have it as a UMTS 1900 device.

So, now, I will carry 2 Blackberrys -- one for the US (8700), and one for when I am in Japan (8707), in particular, as there is NO GSM netowrk there , as Europe UMTS and Japan WCDMA (both 2100) are compatible. I just am not sure how to be a ble to have 2 devices and 1 BIS/BES -- I guess I7ll address that bridge when it happens
Same with me. Last time I went to Japan, I took my Nokia 6630 there to use.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #45 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: L.A. and NY
Model: 9900
OS: 7.0.0.540
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 184
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
Same with me. Last time I went to Japan, I took my Nokia 6630 there to use.
Yep, I bought a Nokia N70 just for that purpose. I also have a Vodafone KK (RIP) subscription. I can use ot for e-mail, but, I know the BB 8707 will be much better for use there.
__________________
Thanks,

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 08:25 AM   #46 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris
Yep, I bought a Nokia N70 just for that purpose. I also have a Vodafone KK (RIP) subscription. I can use ot for e-mail, but, I know the BB 8707 will be much better for use there.
Keep the KK SIM as a souvenir... I keep all of my SIMs...

Yeah, I checked Gmail on my 6630, but couldn't check my work Exchange account obviously.

I may actually end up with a Nokia E61 instead of an 8707 though because that has GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/WIFI, runs Series 60, and has BB Connect.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 04-19-2006, 06:45 AM   #47 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: L.A. and NY
Model: 9900
OS: 7.0.0.540
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 184
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When it says it has "BB connect", like the Nokias, and Treos, does that include BB data? Meaning, since, I no longer pay for data internationally, as it is included in the International data package, (web surfing, etc) on my 8700, will that T-Mobile BB data plan work on these "BB enabled" devices, and I also will not have ot pay for international data roaming?

I am in Thailand now -- this data thing rocks !! I even tether the 8700 as an EDGE modem here, and should not be billed!! (famous last words -- although, I have not been billed using it this way in Europe)
__________________
Thanks,

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Offline  
Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 AM   #48 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris
When it says it has "BB connect", like the Nokias, and Treos, does that include BB data? Meaning, since, I no longer pay for data internationally, as it is included in the International data package, (web surfing, etc) on my 8700, will that T-Mobile BB data plan work on these "BB enabled" devices, and I also will not have ot pay for international data roaming?

I am in Thailand now -- this data thing rocks !! I even tether the 8700 as an EDGE modem here, and should not be billed!! (famous last words -- although, I have not been billed using it this way in Europe)
Yes, BB Connect is simply software that enables a non-RIM brand device to act like a BlackBerry, so you would replace your 8700 PIN with the PIN from BB Connect, and be off to the races.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #49 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: London
Model: Bold
Carrier: o2
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 8707 slow and bad battery

For those of you getting excited about 8707 there are a couple of issues.

The device uses the qualcomm chipset, not the intel one used in the 8700. this is because to get the stack coded by RIM would take to long and they wanted something specifically to cater for the japanese market that could be used in the rest of the world (more and more global travellers). This means it's slower than people have come to expect from the 8700.

Also, because 3G coverage is more patchy it's constantly searching for networks and the device I used showed a 50% decrease in battery life compared to my 8700.

All in all, unless you intend travelling to Japan I'd say stick with the 8700. Just my opinion, but I have to value it because other people have a choice not to!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.