BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Nickster248's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Courtenay, B.C.
Model: 9800
OS: 337
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus
Posts: 315
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Telus Due for a Blackberry Upgade !!

Please Login to Remove!

Aside from the 7130e, Telus has not offered a new(er) version of the Blackberry for quite some time. What about the 8707v I've been reading about, or the 8702 for that matter. Aside from the 8702, have they not been out for a while now?

The Canadian carriers have a very poor selection of Blackberry's compared to the US carriers. I want to see an expanded selection of Blackberry's and would like Telus to come out with a new 8700 at the very least. Anyone else deal with Telus and would like to see a newer version of the Blackberry being offered?

Nick
__________________
Nick

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Offline  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
DanMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Model: 8703e
PIN: 3015cb8b
Carrier: Telus Mobility
Posts: 134
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nickster
I tend to agree. The 7520 is an extremely useful tool for my work as I use the 2-way a lot but I don't think they can squeeze the MIKE into an 8700. I'm not a huge fan of the 71xx series with the Smart type. As you're in BC Telus is big there and out here in the East coast they need to expand their coverage more than their BB line of products.
__________________
PIN:3015cb8b
Born of love...Betrayed by Fate!
Spawn
Telus Mobility
BB 8703e
Offline  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,821
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Nickster - you may be a bit confused. The 8707v just came out, is UMTS and will not work in North America. Much less on CDMA that Telus uses.

I've never heard of an 8702.
Offline  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Model: iFon4
OS: 4.0.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 601
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

tHE 8702 IS THE cdma version of the 8700 that Sprint is testing.
Offline  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,821
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Oh - that rumor! Has anyone actually seen one?
Offline  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel
Posts: 220
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

ahhh another variation of the sprint/verison/nextel 8700 thread.... i THOUGHT things were slowing down
Offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.656
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 335
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster248
Aside from the 7130e, Telus has not offered a new(er) version of the Blackberry for quite some time. What about the 8707v I've been reading about, or the 8702 for that matter. Aside from the 8702, have they not been out for a while now?

The Canadian carriers have a very poor selection of Blackberry's compared to the US carriers. I want to see an expanded selection of Blackberry's and would like Telus to come out with a new 8700 at the very least. Anyone else deal with Telus and would like to see a newer version of the Blackberry being offered?

Nick
Telus currently offers the latest BB versions that are available for North America on the CDMA and iDEN networks. Don't expect to see any new BB's until at least Q4 and I wouldn't even hold my breath for that timeline.
Offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Waterloo: Home of RIM
Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Posts: 1,008
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Every BB offered in the US is available here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster248
The Canadian carriers have a very poor selection of Blackberry's compared to the US carriers.
Offline  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 7250
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

According to my Telus rep, the 8700 should be available within a couple months...The fact that Telus is so far behing Rogers in Canada pisses me off...The new Pearl...which I would not get simpply because of the keyboard, is going to Rogers exclusively for 1 year in Canada...so it should be available through Telus in Sep/Oct 2007...

My cousin who has worked at Rim for several years, always has the latest b4 they come out...he has had the Pearl for 6 months...So I always get to see what is coming before it comes...The 8700, I saw for the first time, Summer 2005...so the fact that I have to wait so long for Telus to catch up is maddening...Oh well, it will be here soon!
Offline  
Old 09-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.656
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 335
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjeffree
According to my Telus rep, the 8700 should be available within a couple months...The fact that Telus is so far behing Rogers in Canada pisses me off...The new Pearl...which I would not get simpply because of the keyboard, is going to Rogers exclusively for 1 year in Canada...so it should be available through Telus in Sep/Oct 2007...

My cousin who has worked at Rim for several years, always has the latest b4 they come out...he has had the Pearl for 6 months...So I always get to see what is coming before it comes...The 8700, I saw for the first time, Summer 2005...so the fact that I have to wait so long for Telus to catch up is maddening...Oh well, it will be here soon!
I'm not exactly a Telus fan-boy, but let's be reasonable here. GSM carriers will always get devices in their hands and out the door long before CDMA carriers. The licensing and production costs are considerably higher for CDMA (and it's controlled stringently) which results in the delay in release from Roger's to Telus/Bell (and likewise, Cingular to Verizon/T-Mobile).

You should only complain when Verizon/T-Mobile release devices that are not available through Telus which, to be fair, rarely happens. Now, iDEN-enabled BB's on Mike? That's a whole different story. The lag between Nextel and Telus is considerable and one that always pisses me off.
Offline  
Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 57
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase
I'm not exactly a Telus fan-boy, but let's be reasonable here. GSM carriers will always get devices in their hands and out the door long before CDMA carriers. The licensing and production costs are considerably higher for CDMA (and it's controlled stringently) which results in the delay in release from Roger's to Telus/Bell (and likewise, Cingular to Verizon/T-Mobile).

You should only complain when Verizon/T-Mobile release devices that are not available through Telus which, to be fair, rarely happens. Now, iDEN-enabled BB's on Mike? That's a whole different story. The lag between Nextel and Telus is considerable and one that always pisses me off.
T-Mobile is GSM, like Cingular. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers in the US.
Offline  
Old 09-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.656
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 335
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant architect
T-Mobile is GSM, like Cingular. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers in the US.
Oh? Wow. T-Mo takes a long time to release devices. I just always assumed it was because they were a CDMA provider. Good to know.
Offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
nsimpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 186
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

"The Canadian carriers have a very poor selection of Blackberry's compared to the US carriers"-nickster

I dont really agree. Rogers will always get the current models of bb around the same time as us carriers. we tend to get them right after the 1st US carrier (within weeks, just depends on how the want to roll out the devices) and MUCH MUCh before the 2nd or 3rd carrier picks up the device in the states becuase the 1st company usually as an exclusive on it.

Rim has always had a solid relationship with Rogers, heck they were one of the 1st to pick up the the blackberry concept. and Rim has been very loyal to Rogers
Offline  
Old 09-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.
Posts: 126
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

BINGO and BINGO was his name OH...

Its not that Canadian providers have less of a selection, its due to your provider being cdma. Few and far between manufactures, providers want to have anything to do with qualcomm and cdma. cdma always has, and always will have less of a device selection.
Offline  
Old 09-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Model: 950
Carrier: robbers
Posts: 909
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yep.. and telus will be bought by Bell..
Offline  
Old 09-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Nickster248's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Courtenay, B.C.
Model: 9800
OS: 337
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus
Posts: 315
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
Yep.. and telus will be bought by Bell..
Well, you may be right. I see that Bell now offers the 8703e, so I wrote Telus asking when they expect the 8703e will be available to their subscribers. I also said that I would change Carriers if they had no date in mind. I haven't heard back from them as yet , but in a week or so I will do just that...change to Bell Canada if Telus cannot come out with the hardware.
__________________
Nick

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Offline  
Old 10-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
nsimpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 186
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy

subsitute one poor alternative for another.... tisk tisk.
Offline  
Old 10-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 0000
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster248
Well, you may be right. I see that Bell now offers the 8703e, so I wrote Telus asking when they expect the 8703e will be available to their subscribers. I also said that I would change Carriers if they had no date in mind. I haven't heard back from them as yet , but in a week or so I will do just that...change to Bell Canada if Telus cannot come out with the hardware.
I asked this before, but didn't get an answer. Is there a Telus insider here that can give us a date when the 8703e is coming to Telus? I mean, Bell has it now, so it can't be a technical issue. Anyone have some more details?
Offline  
Old 10-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Nickster248's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Courtenay, B.C.
Model: 9800
OS: 337
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus
Posts: 315
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimpson
subsitute one poor alternative for another.... tisk tisk.
That only leaves me with Roger's and I've already tried them...with the 8700r, but the coverage where I live is very poor with Rogers. Bell uses the Telus towers, so their coverage (better than Roger's) is the same as Telus. I am caught between a rock and hard place unfortunately.
__________________
Nick

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Offline  
Old 10-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Nickster248's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Courtenay, B.C.
Model: 9800
OS: 337
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus
Posts: 315
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfnet
I asked this before, but didn't get an answer. Is there a Telus insider here that can give us a date when the 8703e is coming to Telus? I mean, Bell has it now, so it can't be a technical issue. Anyone have some more details?
I wrote Telus asking them that very question, and here is what they had to say:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding TELUS new hardware launches inquiry.
In regards to your inquiry, please note that TELUS is continually working with manufacturers to introduce the best new wireless handsets and products. Due to the competitive nature of the wireless industry, we do not discuss future hardware launch plans with the general public. We do test products to satisfy different market segments, but we do not release details about any potential products until their commercial launch."
__________________
Nick

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.