BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 11:53 PM   #41 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Milkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 1,087
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Oh - don't forget the step of getting a CDMA carrier to commit in advance to buy enough volume to make it worthwhile in the first place! The delay *might* be more from the carrier than from RIM.
I personally think this is the biggest problem. I have a feeling that Sprint isn't stepping up to the plate. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the biggest problem. The redesign would be minimal, as most of the layout on the board would probably stay the same, just a couple of things MAY have to be moved.

Bleh, who knows. Whatever the reason, I wish it would be corrected.
__________________
Gator fan for LIFE!!!
UNBEATEN on Bobby Bowden Field
Offline  
Old 08-27-2006, 08:30 AM   #42 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
rambo47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,062
Post Thanks: 52
Thanked 311 Times in 296 Posts
Default

It seems to me that Sprint and Verizon are both pushing the Treo option harder than the Blackberry option. T-Mobile and Cingular seem to be concentrating more on Blackberry, hence the exclusives for the different carriers.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #43 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 79
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
I personally think this is the biggest problem. I have a feeling that Sprint isn't stepping up to the plate. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the biggest problem. The redesign would be minimal, as most of the layout on the board would probably stay the same, just a couple of things MAY have to be moved.
Sprint may not step up to the plate, but I guarantee that Verizon would. The problem is that there are so many more GSM users than CDMA users. So most manufacturers gravitate towards GSM first with most models. There have been exceptions, like with the new Treos, but that was only because CDMA networks here in the US already have 3G, whereas the GSM nets for the most part do not.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
stripesace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 392
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Because the Treo options dont generally require extra hardware, and software, etc. outside of the exchange server, to where as the blackberry requires a BES for full wireless functionality.

CDMA seems to be the standard for corporate america, atleast alot of the big corps based here in Houston seem to be using Verizon.
__________________
John

Last edited by stripesace : 08-27-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #45 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 79
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripesace
Because the Treo options dont generally require extra hardware, and software, etc. outside of the exchange server, to where as the blackberry requires a BES for full wireless functionality.

CDMA seems to be the standard for corporate america, atleast alot of the big corps based here in Houston seem to be using Verizon.
Corporations favor Blackberry's...and are more than willing to install the BES for the added value it provides in terms of security, stability, etc.

The BB is far and way the preferred enterprise solution.

Corporate users in the US don't so much care about whether a carrier is CDMA or GSM, and if they do, they'd actually prefer GSM because it can be used more around the world. The reason why Verizon is favored by many corporations is simply because Verizon has the most reliable network. I live in Florida and Verizon is the only network that has kept on functioning through the hurricanes of past years, for example. That is why corporations favor Verizon.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #46 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 79
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47
It seems to me that Sprint and Verizon are both pushing the Treo option harder than the Blackberry option. T-Mobile and Cingular seem to be concentrating more on Blackberry, hence the exclusives for the different carriers.
Sprint and Verizon would love to get the new Blackberry's first as well, but RIM releases them in GSM first. It has nothing to do with the carriers favoring the Treo. The newer Treos only came out on Sprint and Verizon first because these networks already have their 3G service up and running. Most of the appeal of the new Treos to the earlier models is the access to 3G broadband. Now Palm is finally getting around to releasing GSM Treos, because Cingular is finally turning on its 3G network.

I am sure that Verizon, for instance, would love to be the first to break the new Pearl model. But there are many factors at play, namely,the greater number of GSM users worldwide.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Milkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 1,087
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought
I live in Florida and Verizon is the only network that has kept on functioning through the hurricanes of past years, for example. That is why corporations favor Verizon.
Well, as much as I despise Nextel/Sprint right now (for Nextel's lousy service and Sprints lack of BB's), I have to say, with all of the hurricanes in recent years, I have not had any problem with getting signal during and after the storms.
__________________
Gator fan for LIFE!!!
UNBEATEN on Bobby Bowden Field
Offline  
Old 08-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 79
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
Well, as much as I despise Nextel/Sprint right now (for Nextel's lousy service and Sprints lack of BB's), I have to say, with all of the hurricanes in recent years, I have not had any problem with getting signal during and after the storms.
Good to see another Floridian on these boards, as well as another Gator Fan!

It's good that you didn't have any problems with Nextel/Sprint during the hurricanes...I guess it depends on where you were. I have a friend who works for a major utility company and they were very frustrated when their Nextel service went down.

I also know that the state government of Florida last year signed a 5 year contract with Verizon largely because of their reliability factor during the hurricanes.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #49 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa
Model: 8703
Carrier: Alltel
Posts: 57
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Another Gator here, bro!
Offline  
Old 08-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #50 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t Verizon
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Along the lines of what folks are talking about, will the 8200 have UMTS and be 3G? Or will this be another EDGE device?

On a different note, in order to take advantage of Wi-fi, don't you have to log on/be allowed on the wi-fi network? Similar to what you would do with a laptop?
Offline  
Old 08-28-2006, 02:25 AM   #51 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Model: 8100
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 114
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) is what you're talking about and I highly doubt that its to deploy that technology if Wi-Fi is even present in the 8200. T-Mobile is testing it in the northwest, and until the carriers can figure out how they are going to bill you then you might as well think of it as a pipe dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bperkins
Concerning the Wifi model....will it switch from EDGE to Wifi to make calls? This would be a perfect solution to my less than stellar Cingular coverage at my house. Or is the Wifi for email/net only?

Sure hope it is not another Wifi unit for business like the the 7270?
Offline  
Old 08-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #52 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 485
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBB7130
On a different note, in order to take advantage of Wi-fi, don't you have to log on/be allowed on the wi-fi network? Similar to what you would do with a laptop?
Yes of course. The access requirements for a wireless network don't magically change just because you're using a cell phone instead of a laptop.
Offline  
Old 08-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #53 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: IL
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 45
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The keys seem a little smaller on the Verizon 8703e device.
Offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #54 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Model: 950
Carrier: robbers
Posts: 909
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey.. theglobeandmail has profiled Boygenius..

he's a marked man, that's for sure.. good luck, fear the WRATH of rim!!!
Offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #55 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Boy Genius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York City
Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 781
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Whatever you say...
__________________
Boy Genius

The Boy Genius Report
Offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #56 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Florida
Model: 8700g
Posts: 100
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought
Good to see another Floridian on these boards, as well as another Gator Fan!

It's good that you didn't have any problems with Nextel/Sprint during the hurricanes...I guess it depends on where you were. I have a friend who works for a major utility company and they were very frustrated when their Nextel service went down.

I also know that the state government of Florida last year signed a 5 year contract with Verizon largely because of their reliability factor during the hurricanes.
Florida boy here too!
__________________
RIM BlackBerry

T-Mobile:

- 8100 (rockin' the demo!), 8700g, 7100t, 6230
Offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #57 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 207
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is there any exact date on this coming out and what carrier it will reach first? Because I was thinking of getting a Cingular 8125 and then I was playing with my friends and seen it was underpowered and just didnt like it. I currently have the 7290 and don't want to upgrade to the 8700 if there is a CAMERA/WiFi/QWERTY BB Device coming out real soon. I would rather wait. But anyway thanks for the post.
__________________
Cingular/8700c
-Unlimited Data Plan-which does come w/ wap.cingular access point included heh
Any Questions, feel free to PIN!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

OEM BULB with Housing for DELL 4220 Projector with 180 Day Warranty
$179.0
OEM BULB with Housing for DELL 4220 Projector with 180 Day Warranty pictureOEM BULB with Housing for DELL 330-6183 Projector with 180 Day Warranty
$124.0
OEM BULB with Housing for DELL 330-6183 Projector with 180 Day Warranty pictureOEM BULB with Housing for DELL 1410X Projector with 180 Day Warranty
$124.0
OEM BULB with Housing for DELL 1410X Projector with 180 Day Warranty picture(J06) NEW Genuine OEM Dell 5313118052F0 Generic M-M 6ft Audio Cable Assembly
$25.0
(J06) NEW Genuine OEM Dell 5313118052F0 Generic M-M 6ft Audio Cable Assembly pictureNew Lamp Bulb 08W621 8W621 for Dell 3200MP Projector OEM by Osram
$49.95
New Lamp Bulb 08W621 8W621 for Dell 3200MP Projector OEM by Osram picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.