BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 03:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pattaya,Thailand
Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe
Posts: 147
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

I've been using a 8707v unlocked with a Cingular sim for about 3 weeks now. Why? because I travel overseas and it works in Japan. It shows 3G on the screen when I'm in a 3g country like Japan or Australia and GPRS when in others. Quite frankly I found the speed difference between 3g, GPRS, (and EDGE on my 8700) to be hardly noticeable.
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcheun
Verizon and Sprint have their 3G solutions already, and theyve been out for over a year now. EVDO is what the moniker is used, and it's CDMA. 7250's were capable of it, but the new8703e and 7130's are EVDO capable.

hope this hellps


First, their EVDO networks are NOT true 3g..Second, if they were, neither the 7130e, nor the 8703e are 3G devices...
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 08:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 27,948
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 470 Times in 406 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
First, their EVDO networks are NOT true 3g..Second, if they were, neither the 7130e, nor the 8703e are 3G devices...
Really? EVDO is not 3G? I think many people, and web sites, would differ with your opinion..

3G Today

EVDO is clearly 3G.
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Really? EVDO is not 3G? I think many people, and web sites, would differ with your opinion..

3G Today

EVDO is clearly 3G.

Having been advised by several techs, RIM and Verizon and also reading a few articles on this (trying to locate them), I have been informed that, US EVDO is 2.50-2.75G NOT 3G, soon, but not yet...they're calling it 3g, when it's really not..

again, this is what I have been told by several people that I can only assume know what they are doing, and I have read this...
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 27,948
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 470 Times in 406 Posts
Default

Assume away.
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #26 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philly, PA
Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 536
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When will BB release a 3G device?
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #27 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11
When will BB release a 3G device?

they have...the 8707 is 3G
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 09:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 27,948
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 470 Times in 406 Posts
Default

Both the 7130e and the 8703e are EVDO devices on the CDMA carriers.
<I disagree with Jungleland>.

Cingular will probably have a 3G device after they have a nationwide 3G rollout later this year or early next. Purely speculation on my part.
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 09:16 AM   #29 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 27,948
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 470 Times in 406 Posts
Default

The 8707 does not work on 3G in the US. I assume the poster was asking about US BASED 3G devices.
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Both the 7130e and the 8703e are EVDO devices on the CDMA carriers.
<I disagree with Jungleland>.

Cingular will probably have a 3G device after they have a nationwide 3G rollout later this year or early next. Purely speculation on my part.

will the current devices (8700c, 7130c etc) be able to be retrofitted for the 3G upgrade?
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #31 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
The 8707 does not work on 3G in the US. I assume the poster was asking about US BASED 3G devices.

that's not what I got from his post, but yes, it does not work in the US for 3G...

So we agree on something
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 09:22 AM   #32 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 27,948
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 470 Times in 406 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
will the current devices (8700c, 7130c etc) be able to be retrofitted for the 3G upgrade?
They never have before. The 7250 came EVDO equipped, and when Verizon moved from 1XRTT (2.5G) to EVDO (3G) the devices were "upgraded". But no GPRS devices (7100; 7230) have been "upgraded" to EDGE.
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #33 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
They never have before. The 7250 came EVDO equipped, and when Verizon moved from 1XRTT (2.5G) to EVDO (3G) the devices were "upgraded". But no GPRS devices (7100; 7230) have been "upgraded" to EDGE.

yeah..I guess that would hurt their business model...Makes you wonder though, why did Verizon offer the evdo upgrade on the 7250, when they nickel and dime you on everything else?
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #34 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewsan
I've been using a 8707v unlocked with a Cingular sim for about 3 weeks now. Why? because I travel overseas and it works in Japan. It shows 3G on the screen when I'm in a 3g country like Japan or Australia and GPRS when in others. Quite frankly I found the speed difference between 3g, GPRS, (and EDGE on my 8700) to be hardly noticeable.

I wonder what would happen with the 8707v when you pop in cingulars new 3G sim card....would you be able to get a 3G connection where available?
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
jibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jibi's Secret Place
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.174
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 11,310
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
US EVDO is 2.50-2.75G NOT 3G
1xRTT was 2.75G. EVDO, even at the early Rev 0 release, is 3G. Rev A is now being rolled out throughout Verizon and Sprint's networks (should be finalized on the first phase within 2.5 months, with the finalized second phase ending late next year).

So, to answer the question with a summary of what all has been said, the BlackBerry 3G devices are: 8707 (GSM/UMTS), 7250 (CDMA/EVDO), 7130e (CDMA/EVDO), and 8703e (CDMA/EVDO). There *should* be a SureType UMTS device out shortly. And as NJ stated, the 8707 UMTS device is not compatible with the Cingular and Rogers UMTS networks running at 1900mhz.
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
1xRTT was 2.75G. EVDO, even at the early Rev 0 release, is 3G. Rev A is now being rolled out throughout Verizon and Sprint's networks (should be finalized on the first phase within 2.5 months, with the finalized second phase ending late next year).

So, to answer the question with a summary of what all has been said, the BlackBerry 3G devices are: 8707 (GSM/UMTS), 7250 (CDMA/EVDO), 7130e (CDMA/EVDO), and 8703e (CDMA/EVDO). There *should* be a SureType UMTS device out shortly. And as NJ stated, the 8707 UMTS device is not compatible with the Cingular and Rogers UMTS networks running at 1900mhz.
So does this mean with Rev A you can do voice and data simultaneously.
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 10-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #37 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
jibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jibi's Secret Place
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.174
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 11,310
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
So does this mean with Rev A you can do voice and data simultaneously.
With the assistance of VoIP technology, yes. Strictly with CDMA-grounded technology, no. That was termed EVDV, but it was scratched with the rise in popularity of the already established EVDO.
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.
Offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Lurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 7130
Carrier: Alltel
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
EVDV...was scratched with the rise in popularity of the already established EVDO.
It was scrapped well before that
__________________
The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.
Offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Phone Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: At Home
Model: None
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The first data (smartphone actually) device that Cingular will have that is UMTS is a Samsung product. I believe the BB stuff will start early next year. FWIW (I haven't been a member long enough to know if this is previously posted so I apologize if I am restating the obvious), UMTS / HSDPA is a CDMA based technology. Current GSM technology is not capable of the speeds that can be achieved with UMTS / HSDPA.
__________________
Hit me at the hip!
Offline  
Old 10-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #40 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
rambo47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,063
Post Thanks: 52
Thanked 311 Times in 296 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Y'all are making this up.
The 8707 uses UMTS, but not the UMTS that Cingular is rolling out in the US. The 8707 uses UMTS 2100 which is not the same.

Where did ANYONE get the notion that the 8100 is "3G ready". Wishful thinking, perhaps.
My bad. I could have sworn I read that it was indeed 3G ready, but upon further review I seemed to have pulled that one straight out of my butt. Sorry if I mislead anyone.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Siemens 6ES7 272-0AA30-0YA1 6ES7272-0AA30-0YA1 Normal work Fast delivery
$122.0
Siemens 6ES7 272-0AA30-0YA1 6ES7272-0AA30-0YA1 Normal work  Fast delivery pictureSiemens 225 amp aluminum Bus Duct system
$300.0
Siemens 225 amp aluminum Bus Duct system pictureSiemens 6ES7 272-0AA30-0YA1 6ES7272-0AA30-0YA1 Brand new and sealed
$274.0
Siemens 6ES7 272-0AA30-0YA1 6ES7272-0AA30-0YA1   Brand new and sealed pictureSiemens 6ES7272-1AA10-0YA0 6ES7 272-1AA10-0YA0 Normal work Fast delivery
$253.0
Siemens 6ES7272-1AA10-0YA0 6ES7 272-1AA10-0YA0 Normal work  Fast delivery picture Siemens 6ES7272-0AA00-0YA0 6ES7 272-0AA00-0YA0 Normal work Fast delivery
$81.0
  Siemens 6ES7272-0AA00-0YA0  6ES7 272-0AA00-0YA0 Normal work  Fast delivery picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.