BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Colorado Mountains
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.56
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 923
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

8803e?
__________________
All things are possible, except for skiing through a revolving door...
Offline  
Old 02-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
whsbuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE PA.
Model: 9800
OS: 4.6.0.304
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,791
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
8803e?
8830e (I'm hearing late May).
Offline  
Old 02-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
cmpugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sitting
Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 141
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would be 'ok' with late May... but at first I was hearing April. I think these leaks are Verizon's desperate attempt to make people think they don't get 'good/nice/quality' phones a year or more after GSM carriers.

I will be surprised if it's out this summer... I'll wait though
__________________
it's the right time to crash, is it not?
Offline  
Old 02-15-2007, 07:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
brucejr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 666
Carrier: ?
Posts: 3,645
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just as long as it stays within the Q2 realm and I will be happy.
__________________
The Purrfect 4
Offline  
Old 02-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 203
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor1189
For anyone trying to access the story or post on my blog, it is currently down. I just purchased a domain name and I am waiting for Google's DNS Server to update. I am told that it should be up within the next day or two. The new address will be.

http://www.mytechnews.net

I encourage all of you to visit regularly once it is back online.

Thanks, and sorry about the down time.
Thanks for being patient everyone, I got all the domain issues on my site completely worked on now. I encourage all of you to check out mytechnews.net regularly. Thanks for your time.
__________________
Look for me on CrackBerry.com
Offline  
Old 02-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurs
Not generally speaking, but this is VZW we're talking about, so yes you're asking too much.

look who sprintusers.com dragged in! ;)
Offline  
Old 02-22-2007, 02:07 AM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Model: 7250
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I was on a call recently with a rim rep. I work for a local carrier on the east coast don't want to go to specific cuz they said it was mildly confidential but the device will be the 8830. verizon's looking at may/june and sprint soon thereafter other carriers are looking at august. so far all the test devices have verizon software or atleast the ones we saw. the device will be trackball and will have a few new features some of which have been mentioned. it is quadband but will only be marketed as cdma in north america and gsm in europe and other markets. it will also have a micro sd card slot and has a full media player, music and video!!!!! it will have a built in spell checker 54 MB onbaord data and 16 MB ram. overall it looks pretty cool very similar to the 8800. best features imo are the next two: stereo bluetooth, and extended battery included when you buy. it has 33% more battery life than the standard in the 8703e so should be pretty good. thats pretty much all they told us on the call hope that answers questions and clears up some myths if you have any other questions i can research them and ask our rim rep and see what he says.
Offline  
Old 02-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
CarBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Model: 9900
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Posts: 167
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrow LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE 8830e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rianlu
I was on a call recently with a rim rep. I work for a local carrier on the east coast don't want to go to specific cuz they said it was mildly confidential but the device will be the 8830. verizon's looking at may/june and sprint soon thereafter other carriers are looking at august. so far all the test devices have verizon software or atleast the ones we saw. the device will be trackball and will have a few new features some of which have been mentioned. it is quadband but will only be marketed as cdma in north america and gsm in europe and other markets. it will also have a micro sd card slot and has a full media player, music and video!!!!! it will have a built in spell checker 54 MB onbaord data and 16 MB ram. overall it looks pretty cool very similar to the 8800. best features imo are the next two: stereo bluetooth, and extended battery included when you buy. it has 33% more battery life than the standard in the 8703e so should be pretty good. thats pretty much all they told us on the call hope that answers questions and clears up some myths if you have any other questions i can research them and ask our rim rep and see what he says.
Rianlu,

WOW, this is great !! The 8830e would have everything that I would like to have on a phone, especially on a BlackBerry. Even Spell Check !!

Since I live in Toronto, I'm hoping that Bell Mobility will carry this unit.

CarBob
__________________
NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT !
Offline  
Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: 9550
OS: v5.0.0.32
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 126
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Add WiFI support and I'll snatch an 8830e up in a heartbeat!
Offline  
Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: 9550
OS: v5.0.0.32
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 126
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

oops, double post.
Offline  
Old 03-06-2007, 11:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mjbanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 233
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'll wait for the one with WiFi, GPS, and camera... and hopefully Verizon doesn't cripple the hell out of it.
Offline  
Old 03-10-2007, 02:46 AM   #32 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 8800
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

But with wifi, gps and a camera there's so MUCH for verizon to cripple. It's going to be like a kid in a candy store.
Offline  
Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 8100
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Okay, i called Verizon Business Traveler's number: I asked about a new world phone blackberry and they said that it will be coming out at the end of this Month. So April 1st, 2007 keep an eye out.
Offline  
Old 03-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
whsbuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE PA.
Model: 9800
OS: 4.6.0.304
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,791
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitall
Okay, i called Verizon Business Traveler's number: I asked about a new world phone blackberry and they said that it will be coming out at the end of this Month. So April 1st, 2007 keep an eye out.
I'd be a bit sceptical about that date, but I hope I'm wrong. Still hearing late May.
Offline  
Old 03-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
southbayyouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego.
Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseBerry
With the recent law that was passed, don't they have to unlock it if we ask?

What law are you refering to?

Are there ways for an individual to unlock a phone, or is there software to do this. By unlocking the phone, would this free up the GPS (on the phones that have it), would the GPS be free? Does the tethering fall into this category?
Offline  
Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 82
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbayyouth
What law are you refering to?

Are there ways for an individual to unlock a phone, or is there software to do this. By unlocking the phone, would this free up the GPS (on the phones that have it), would the GPS be free? Does the tethering fall into this category?
From my understanding:

Cell phone companies in the US, mainly GSM carriers, locked their phones to only accept their carrier specific SIM cards. There were 3rd party vendors that would unlock it for you for a nominal fee. The carriers proceeded by declaring such "unauthorized unlocks" to be a violation of the DMCA. There was a provision back late last year through congress that granted such "unlocking" to be exceptions to the DMCA.

So in essence, the vendors can continue to lock the phones, meaning you can "legally" get the phone unlocked.

Please note that this is solely my personal interpretation, and am not in the legal profession, nor profess to be one. Just my $0.02
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
MooseBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC suburbs.
Model: 9930
PIN: Up :)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 257
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

nyc2socal, I think you have it right from my understanding, but also now the carriers will unlock the phone when you ask them to, with some restrictions. T-Mo wants you to be 3 months into your contract and cingular takes three months to do it

I've read that Verizon won't let you bring another CDMA carriers phone to their network. But, I was talking to a guy in a VZW store who had a Samsung world phone and he was using a cingular sim card in it and he was very happy. He said he traveled around a lot and whenever he couldn't get a VZW signal, he jumped to cingy's network. That's what I'm hoping we can do with the 8830.

Btw, why isn't this new BB called the 8803e?
__________________
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 07:52 AM   #38 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
whsbuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE PA.
Model: 9800
OS: 4.6.0.304
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,791
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseBerry
nyc2socal, Btw, why isn't this new BB called the 8803e?
I think it will be.
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #39 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Liquidlink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Model: 9000
PIN: 20E220C5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 70
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseBerry
I've read that Verizon won't let you bring another CDMA carriers phone to their network. But, I was talking to a guy in a VZW store who had a Samsung world phone and he was using a cingular sim card in it and he was very happy. He said he traveled around a lot and whenever he couldn't get a VZW signal, he jumped to cingy's network. That's what I'm hoping we can do with the 8830.
I thought that the GSM portion of the phone can only be used in Europe. If what you are saying is true that with a CDMA / GSM phone or BB you can have 2 phone lines, one being Verizon and 1 with Cingular. DIfferent numbers as well. That is what I got from your statement.
Offline  
Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #40 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
serrano_yejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 246
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default My 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidlink
I thought that the GSM portion of the phone can only be used in Europe. If what you are saying is true that with a CDMA / GSM phone or BB you can have 2 phone lines, one being Verizon and 1 with Cingular. DIfferent numbers as well. That is what I got from your statement.
Anything and everything that we know here (USA) about propietary network devices (Sprint device for Sprint network, Vzn for Vzn, we already know that GSM can be unlocked) gets thrown out of the windows overseas.

Example i went to the city of Santiago in the Dominican Republic after i got there i go to the mall the second day and I saw a Kiosk with Sprint, Verizon (wich is going to be Claro wireless in october (cdma to gsm also in Puerto Rico from cdma to gsm). Ignorant of me thinking that they sell those phones here for when they travel to the States and just activate them w/ their respected networks no sir... they have a program that can UNLOCK cdma devices to use with the CDMA 850 (800 MHz / 850 MHz) and CDMA 1900 frequency band. furthermore i saw a lot of americans that unlock their Sprint and Verizon devices there some of them for an extra $50 us dollars (34 dominican peso to 1 us dollar ratio as of 25 of march 2007) the can unlock the phone to be a ghost here in the states and yes they can unlock CDMA (like the PPC-6700 that has the SIM card slot to be used by a CDMA and GSM carrier at he same time ... Necessity is the mother of invention and when people need to communicate they dont have time to BS around with all this propietary network crap especially in a third world country... the phones can go from VZN to Sprint here in the states and if the phone is Hybrid it can go from CDMA to GSM (w/ sim) with no problem

Last edited by serrano_yejo : 03-14-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.