BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: palm beach
Model: 8300
Carrier: cingular
Posts: 68
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default ATT equivalent to Verizon 8830?

Please Login to Remove!

Currently ATT phones will not roam in japan and i heard a rumor of a world phone like the verizon 8830 is coming to ATT?

our CEO needs a phone to work anywhere in the world with data asap and my shop refuses to buy a single verizon blackberry, so im open to suggestions
__________________
Domain Admin
Exchange 2007 cluster Admin
BES 4.14 Admin
Offline  
Old 09-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
EPIC MOD
 
ezrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Model: ZED10
OS: DOS 3.1
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 12,214
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Its not that the phones won't work their typically it is the BBs that have an issue something to do with the way the GSM network in Japan is set up.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along and educate us better.
__________________
ZED 10
Offline  
Old 09-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default

There really is no BlackBerry that will work everywhere in the world.
GSM phones will work in MOST of the world. They will not work in Japan, or parts of Korea, as those countries use an entirely different wireless network than the rest of the world.
The Verizon 8830 is a GSM/CDMA hybrid, and wouldn't work in Japan anyway.

Find out specifically where your CEO is traveling, and we can help you find a device that should work there.

If your CEO is travelling soon, then you may just want to rent a cell phone using a service such as International cell phones - cell phone rental, GSM phone rental and Satellite phone rental
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org

Last edited by penguin3107 : 09-19-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Offline  
Old 09-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9700
OS: 6.0.0.480
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 103
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayzurboy View Post
Currently ATT phones will not roam in japan and i heard a rumor of a world phone like the verizon 8830 is coming to ATT?

our CEO needs a phone to work anywhere in the world with data asap and my shop refuses to buy a single verizon blackberry, so im open to suggestions
As was mentioned earlier, the 8830 will not work in Japan either. The 8800 (now 8820?) will work anywhere the 8830 will. I find it humorus that Verizon is hyping a capability that quad band GSM phones have had for years.

You can get the maximum coverage with a quad band GSM and tri-band UMTS phone (850/1900/2100). 2100MHz UMTS will work in Japan and Korea. Two options are the Treo 750 and the HTC TyTn (AT&T 8525). The new model HTC TyTn II (also known as the Kaiser) is out (Google it, several online retailers have it). The AT&T version (the Tilt 8925) is supposed to be out in the next couple of weeks. RIM is supposed to be coming out with a UMTS tri-band Blackberry 9xxx, but its release date seems to be receding on the horizon.

From what I can gather, the best option for world coverage right now is an AT&T 8925 running the Blackberry Connect 4.0 software using AT&T's Blackberry International data plan. That gets you unlimited data just about anywhere in the world.
BB Connect on HTC Kaiser
Offline  
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: Tour
OS: v4.7.1.40
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How about this?

8707g which can be bought from NTT Docomo USA

NTT Docomo USA is a Japanese Cell Phone Carrier that operate in the US to cater to Business Organization that works with Japanese business and is an authorized retailer for Cingular and now AT&T. So This phone is designed to operate with GMS/GPRS as well as UMTS. Does have 3G coverage in Japan. Does not have 3G or EDGE service in the US though.


Hope this helps.....

Last edited by HayashiK1 : 09-21-2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Included addtional info about company and 8707g
Offline  
Old 09-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BryanHarig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.94
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 1,112
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

AFAIK the 8707 blackberry will work in the most places worldwide.

UMTS for japan and korea, quad band GPRS for the rest of the world.

The only places it will not work are countries with only CDMA and no GSM or UMTS coverage. (Rare)

This is not the best solution, it will be slower then a newer BB in the USA and Europe. It is also older and wont win him any style point with other execs, but it will work and it will allow you to keep using AT&T as well as give the widest possible area of coverage worldwide. .

Last edited by BryanHarig : 09-21-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Offline  
Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: Tour
OS: v4.7.1.40
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
AFAIK the 8707 blackberry will work in the most places worldwide.

UMTS for japan and korea, quad band GPRS for the rest of the world.

The only places it will not work are countries with only CDMA and no GSM or UMTS coverage. (Rare)

This is not the best solution, it will be slower then a newer BB in the USA and Europe. It is also older and wont win him any style point with other execs, but it will work and it will allow you to keep using AT&T as well as give the widest possible area of coverage worldwide. .
Thanks for your input BryanHarig.

Since I am not particularly familiar with most of BB offerings or cell phone networks, I was just wondering if you could give me some idea as to what the best soloution might be for working with Japanese cell phone networks.

I am wondering AT&T service with rental phone in Japan using personal sim card is the best bet.

Thanks for your input in advance.
Offline  
Old 09-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9700
OS: 6.0.0.480
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 103
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiK1 View Post
Thanks for your input BryanHarig.

Since I am not particularly familiar with most of BB offerings or cell phone networks, I was just wondering if you could give me some idea as to what the best soloution might be for working with Japanese cell phone networks.

I am wondering AT&T service with rental phone in Japan using personal sim card is the best bet.

Thanks for your input in advance.
On my last trip to Japan, I used my AT&T SIM in a phone I rented from DoCoMo at their store in Narita. It worked fine, but AT&T's international roaming rates are expensive. OTOH, everyone's international roaming rates are expensive. Unless I have purchased a phone that has 2100MHz UMTS before my next trip, I will probably rent a local phone. The daily rental rate is actually cheaper and there are no roaming charges.
Offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hey my name is moti i need to unlock a blackberry 8830 i have no clue how to do it if any one can help me then please contact me at [email address] it will be of huge help and the sooner some1 can help me the better
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 05:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moti_avner View Post
hey my name is moti i need to unlock a blackberry 8830 i have no clue how to do it if any one can help me then please contact me at [email address] it will be of huge help and the sooner some1 can help me the better
You need to call Verizon Wireless and ask to speak to their Global team.
Currently, they are the only ones who can help you unlock a Verizon 8830.
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org
Offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

You mean Verizon has a device that ATT doesn't have? : -)
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.