BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rumor-mill/)
-   -   Any rumor of a device that will... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rumor-mill/9846-any-rumor-device-will.html)

boilerron 06-07-2005 09:02 PM

Any rumor of a device that will...
 
Any rumor of a device that will operate on an internal WAN/SIP and then switch to cell network when out of range?

BoilerRon

bfrye 06-07-2005 09:09 PM

nope

Soapm 06-07-2005 09:31 PM

Rest your hands bfrye, they must be tired after all that typing...

bfrye 06-08-2005 06:56 AM

Simple answers are sometimes the easiest to understand...

mrogers 06-08-2005 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boilerron
Any rumor of a device that will operate on an internal WAN/SIP and then switch to cell network when out of range?

BoilerRon

Only in my fantasies...along with other things...

Yeah, that would definitely be sweet and it's something my office has been wishing for for a long time. Part of our complex is so far underground that there's no cell signals there, but we do have wireless coverage and a VOIP network. So a--what would you call it, "quint" (5) band? --phone like that would be perfect for us.

lunchboxfett 06-08-2005 09:08 AM

Motorola makes a phone that does that. It is model CN620. It is not a Blackberry. You also need to have a server to do the switch off and it only operates on 802.11a.

Mr Pink57 06-13-2005 08:20 PM

Wirelessly posted (?: BlackBerry7520/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

There is a wifi BB out there, this could probably satisfy your needs.

pink

Mr Pink57 06-13-2005 08:21 PM

Wirelessly posted (?: BlackBerry7520/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

There is a wifi BB out there, this could probably satisfy your needs.

pink

mrogers 06-13-2005 11:15 PM

Oh sure, except for the rather large part of it where the phone should connect to cellular networks as well.

darkmark 08-11-2005 10:52 AM

At WES when pressed the guy from RIM said that a dual mode (wifi and GSM/GPRS) would be a next phase development after the 7270.

As the 7270 is now a real product in the US (wifi only) I would assume that we're now looking at next year for dual mode.

zygut 03-12-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkmark
At WES when pressed the guy from RIM said that a dual mode (wifi and GSM/GPRS) would be a next phase development after the 7270.

As the 7270 is now a real product in the US (wifi only) I would assume that we're now looking at next year for dual mode.

Anyone heard anything more about wifi+gsm/gprs blackberries? This last was posted over a half a year ago now. :-o

NJBlackBerry 03-12-2006 07:53 PM

I think if you check back in another 18 months, you'll be asking the same question. A converged Wifi/carrier network BB will result is less revenue for the carriers... I really don't see it happening.

zygut 03-12-2006 08:20 PM

Its unavoidable, they might as well do it and get it over with and capitalize on it as much as possible. The motorola CN620 already did this.

NJBlackBerry 03-12-2006 08:35 PM

OK - if you say it's unavoidable, I guess it is...

Boy Genius 03-12-2006 09:36 PM

Also to add...the Motorola CN620 is vaporware, they outsourced that phone completely, it wasn't their design, or idea...That phone is not available at all. Something real is UMA, which T-Mobile will be launching, for people who don't have cell service at home they can use the wifi in their house, and not take up minutes on your cell phone plan...small monthly fee, but genius. Phones coming out soon from T-mobile will support this, some do.

zygut 03-13-2006 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
OK - if you say it's unavoidable, I guess it is...

Yes, I steer this ship, now sit down you are going to cause an accident!

will4cani 04-05-2006 11:49 AM

BlackBerry and UMA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boygenius
Also to add...the Motorola CN620 is vaporware, they outsourced that phone completely, it wasn't their design, or idea...That phone is not available at all. Something real is UMA, which T-Mobile will be launching, for people who don't have cell service at home they can use the wifi in their house, and not take up minutes on your cell phone plan...small monthly fee, but genius. Phones coming out soon from T-mobile will support this, some do.

You've got it right BoyGenius.
UMA is coming and from what I'm hearing and seeing BlackBerry is right in the mix of that right now along with carriers worldwide.

umatechnology.org/participants
(Sorry about it not being in a link, but I'm too new to allow for such toys.:smile:)

The_Doughboy 04-06-2006 10:40 AM

The new Nokias are supposed to do both Voip, blackberry and switching to celular
The e70
and the e61
I'd post the links but I can't

will4cani 04-06-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Doughboy
The new Nokias are supposed to do both Voip, blackberry and switching to celular
The e70
and the e61
I'd post the links but I can't

From what I understand the Nokia N80 is supposed to work similarly as well. I haven't heard about the e70 or e61 being BlackBerry capable though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.