BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/sensitive-discussions/)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/sensitive-discussions/172128-president-obama-evolution.html)

mriff 01-23-2009 08:07 AM

President Obama and Evolution
 
How refreshing! (y)

Q: York County was recently in the news for a lawsuit involving the teaching of intelligent design. What’s your attitude regarding the teaching of evolution in public schools?

A: “I’m a Christian, and I believe in parents being able to provide children with religious instruction without interference from the state.

But I also believe our schools are there to teach worldly knowledge and science. I believe in evolution, and I believe there’s a difference between science and faith. That doesn’t make faith any less important than science. It just means they’re two different things. And I think it’s a mistake to try to cloud the teaching of science with theories that frankly don’t hold up to scientific inquiry.“

Dawg 01-23-2009 09:01 AM

Evolution is a faith based religion as well. Because there is zero hard evidence other wise. Why should my children be taught something that has zero merit just because some scientist thinks it does. Show me where I evolved from any thing prove it to me with out a shadow of doubt. You can't.

And I also don't think you are a Christian if you believe in evolution. To be a Christian you have to believe in God, you cant believe in God and Evolution.

jsconyers 01-23-2009 09:26 AM

I believe the statement he made was that as human beings we've evolved, maybe in a technological sense. Evolution in that sense, does exist.

Having said that, religion and politics in the same thread, this could get ugly.

test54 01-23-2009 09:36 AM

I think all forms should be taught and let the kids and parents take it from there. I do think that its necessary to teach evolution as it has more evidence then the other alternatives. the evidence is one word - dinosaurs.

freedom though should allow schools to teach and discuss all options, not just those that are popular.

akosnitzky 01-23-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1257289)
How refreshing! (y)

Q: York County was recently in the news for a lawsuit involving the teaching of intelligent design. What’s your attitude regarding the teaching of evolution in public schools?

A: “I’m a Christian, and I believe in parents being able to provide children with religious instruction without interference from the state.

But I also believe our schools are there to teach worldly knowledge and science. I believe in evolution, and I believe there’s a difference between science and faith. That doesn’t make faith any less important than science. It just means they’re two different things. And I think it’s a mistake to try to cloud the teaching of science with theories that frankly don’t hold up to scientific inquiry.“

In our state minimum competency testing doesn't look at the god component

audit 01-23-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1257396)
Having said that, religion and politics in the same thread, this could get ugly.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Dawg 01-23-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1257407)
I think all forms should be taught and let the kids and parents take it from there. I do think that its necessary to teach evolution as it has more evidence then the other alternatives. the evidence is one word - dinosaurs.

freedom though should allow schools to teach and discuss all options, not just those that are popular.

If you research jewish history and hebrew dinosaurs were mentioned in the bible in Job

audit 01-23-2009 10:54 AM

I've never been a big fan of mixing schools and religion. My kids go to church every weekend and attend gatherings that our church puts on during the week. We've never pushed it down their throats and I feel they are better because of it. They ask questions and we do the best we can to answer them.

just my lack of .002 for this.

test54 01-23-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1257485)
If you research jewish history and hebrew dinosaurs were mentioned in the bible in Job

okay if that works for you. one mention of behemoth or another of leviathon hardly solve the problem for me. And I'm a grad of a Christian college, several years without an answer to this issue for me.

dmead 01-23-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1257485)
If you research jewish history and hebrew dinosaurs were mentioned in the bible in Job

and flying horses and sea monsters were mentioned in greek and roman texts.

mriff 01-23-2009 12:28 PM

Wow. I don't even know what to say. I'm a biologist by training and I know that every biologist worth his/her salt uses the theory of evolution as posited by Darwin as the basis for understanding of life sciences. I can say this. Evolution is fact. Forms evolve. There can be no dispute about that. The theory part comes in as to how this happens. And for 150 years, scientists have accepted Darwin's explanations for this and have corroborated his findings in every way possible.

To teach creationism as science in public schools is nonsense.

There you have it. Flame away.

mriff 01-23-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmead (Post 1257537)
and flying horses and sea monsters were mentioned in greek and roman texts.

You forgot the Flying Spaghetti Monstors. :smile:

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

dmead 01-23-2009 12:37 PM

may you be touched by his noodley appendage

Dawg 01-23-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1257514)
okay if that works for you. one mention of behemoth or another of leviathon hardly solve the problem for me. And I'm a grad of a Christian college, several years without an answer to this issue for me.

Thats fine. its your beliefs. I am not asking you to be a a Christian thats your desicion. I feel Christ is just and lets you make your own choices. Im not here to judge you for it.


Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1257615)
Wow. I don't even know what to say. I'm a biologist by training and I know that every biologist worth his/her salt uses the theory of evolution as posited by Darwin as the basis for understanding of life sciences. I can say this. Evolution is fact. Forms evolve. There can be no dispute about that. The theory part comes in as to how this happens. And for 150 years, scientists have accepted Darwin's explanations for this and have corroborated his findings in every way possible.

To teach creationism as science in public schools is nonsense.

There you have it. Flame away.

Bingo! Faith or hope or what ever. You don't know what caused it, I do God!

I tell you what you all believe what you want to believe and I will believe what I wanna believe and well leave it at that. We will see which one is still alive when the lord comes home.

Dawg 01-23-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmead (Post 1257537)
and flying horses and sea monsters were mentioned in greek and roman texts.


Ok, why couldnt these be the dinosaurs? Everything was plush and green during the time of adam and eve right up until the flood. I believe there was still earth exposed during that time and this is where they were pushed back to the ones who didnt die.
Reptiles never quit growing there surroundings usally kill them first whether it be diet, enviroment or whatever.

I am not saying science isn't great and that there are things I can't explain.

But with simple geometry I can make an elephant climb a tree, but we all know its not really possible, right?

So I have explained my theory please tell me how man got here with out being created by the all mighty?

If apes have evolved into humans why don't we still have half ape half man things running around?

dmead 01-23-2009 01:01 PM

since this has nothing to do with the president any more then i'm going to put this out there.

it baffles me that people discredit ancient greek stories of mount olympus as myth and then take something like genesis as fact. the bible is as much fairy tale as is the tales of the roman gods and godesses or the lord of the rings stuff. there its out there.

thank zeus i live in a country that allows me free thought.

LunkHead 01-23-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1257652)
If apes have evolved into humans why don't we still have half ape half man things running around?

To inject a little humor here.....

We do! Come ride with me for a day!!!!! :)

Kris

mriff 01-23-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1257642)
Thats fine. its your beliefs. I am not asking you to be a a Christian thats your desicion. I feel Christ is just and lets you make your own choices. Im not here to judge you for it.

Bingo! Faith or hope or what ever. You don't know what caused it, I do God!

I tell you what you all believe what you want to believe and I will believe what I wanna believe and well leave it at that. We will see which one is still alive when the lord comes home.

You highlighted a sentence but ignored the sentence behind it. It's not faith or hope, it scientific evidence. And it's not who caused it but what it is. A theory based on overwhelming scientific evidence. There is absolutely no scientific evidence to support creationism or it's cousin Intelligent Design. So why teach that as a so called theory in public schools?

mriff 01-23-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1257652)
If apes have evolved into humans why don't we still have half ape half man things running around?

Because we've evolved.

LunkHead 01-23-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1257687)
Because we've evolved.

What do we evolve into next? John Clark? :razz:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Kris


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.