View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #20
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
Yep, already been talked about in other threads about the leather pouches. The 8900 has had the location of the internal magnetic "Holster Mode" switch moved from where it was on the 8300 series. So the leather pouches for the 8300 do NOT engage "Holster Mode" on the 8900. That's what's wrong.
I've read discussions about this, but always found it weird that my old 8300 OEM leather pouch worked perfectly with my 8900 -- magnet was in exactly the right place, and I could watch the display shutting down as soon as the 8900 slipped into the case.

I unfortunately broke the clip on the old 8300 case, and have been using an old 8800 case for the past week or so. Although the magnet on this case does "sleep" the phone, the case is way too big for the 8900, so I've been on the lookout for my next case.

Tonight I was at BestBuy, and saw a bunch of 8300 OEM lambskin vertical pouches on sale. The way they're package on the display card, you can open the flap and try the case to see how well your phone fits. I decided to give it a try...

I tried 9 or 10 of these 8300 cases (all that were on display), and found out something very interesting: most of the cases did NOT put the 8900 to sleep, but 3 out of this batch DID put the 8900 to sleep when it was inserted into them. I picked one that seemed like the best fit (all a bit different), verified that the magnet would "sleep" the 8900 consistently whether I put the phone in facing out or in. (I generally prefer it facing toward me, but it seems that the top strap fits the phone better the other way -- this is still up in the air).

So -- if you see these on sale in a store, try out a few and you may be pleasantly surprised. It's a very nice fit (not loose or sloppy), gets nicer with age, and is a very sturdy pleasant case for the device. Although you can get these for about $15 on Amazon, you won't be able to try half a dozen to find one that sleeps the phone properly, so I'm not too distraught paying BestBuy $24 for one (plus tax -- but no shipping since I picked it up).
Offline   Reply With Quote