View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynot View Post
No one will deny that RIM's primary market is business. But based on what my daughter tells me, BB's are becoming very popular with the younger, non-business crowd. In fact, they even have their own lexicon such as "BBM me when you get home".

Having said that, I personally think the ability to view HD on a 3-inch screen may be a little excessive. If I have to watch HD I'll do it on my 50-inch screen lol.

Besides, wouldn't HD content require huge amounts of storage space or bandwidth?
That's exactly what I'm getting at. I know they have a consumer market, but that is not their core.

The real point is that business users need a device that will last at least for one day on single a battery charge with heavy e-mail, SMS, phone, and web usage. An HD screen, or any of the other media-centric bibbity-bobbity-boo will kill a battery in short order as it does on my iPhone. I for one do not want to be like the Koreans and Japanese who HAVE to carry two batteries with them.

The bandwidth issue is not so important these days with "unlimited" 3G, but storage definitely is. The latest BlackBerry devices have 1 GB of built-in storage, and up to 16GB with MSD cards. A 16 GB card can hold only 4-5 HD-quality (e.g. Blu-ray rip) movies.