View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
gallowj

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
What will this accomplish? Report it stolen to the carrier so they can disable it. I would think that would be the best way to have it returned if someone not involved in the theft has it. Constantly sending it messages will not accomplish anything.
This has already been done two weeks ago, sir.

There was a period (1 week) where the phone did not accept PIN messages after which I noted it began to be used again last week-end.

The reason for this is that:

1) A new SIM card has been placed in the device
2) When a mobile is lost / stolen the majority of carriers do not actually add it to the IMEI block list and are not willing to.

Further to item 2) though the architecture for appropriate IMEI blocking is in place and 40 large carriers claim to incorporate it (including my own) the carriers are driven by profit and they do NOT typically do IMEI blocking. Rogers (my carrier) for instance does IMEI blocking only if display cellphones are stolen from their stores. When a customer loses their phone they simply nuke the SIM card.

Why do they do this you might ask?

Don't forget that in so doing their customer will have to get a new cell phone from somewhere... and odds are they will purchase from the same carrier.

Such is the nature of the business and if you investigate this you will find most carriers are driven by the same thing - GREED.

Protect your devices and work every angle you can. Lock your BlackBerries with an appropriate "Owner" message -- consider using a hot glue gun to fix your SIM card within the device or addition of screws to the back.
Offline   Reply With Quote