Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
Many people (for some odd reason) seem to think that if they purchase the device at full retail price that somehow that equates to entitling them to the device being unlocked.

Not sure where that logic comes from, though, since the two things don't have anything to do with each other.

Perhaps this isn't the case with the OP, but I have seen this before.
I can see some logic to it. If you buy the phone at a discount, with a new contract or contract extension, you are getting a lower price in exchange for your willingness to enter into a contract to buy phone service from the provider. If you pay full retail, you're buying the phone outright, without entering into any further contract with the provider who's selling it. So you might reasonably believe that you should be able to do whatever you want with it, including operating it on another provider's network.

Of course, the flaw in that logic is that you're buying the device as is, which happens to be locked, and you know that before you buy. No provider is required to be in the business of selling unlocked phones--not in the US, at least. In Singapore and Israel (I think), it's illegal for providers to sell locked phones. In many other countries, it's not illegal, but providers are required to provide free unlock codes. So the expectation that a phone bought without a contract should be unlocked or freely unlockable has some international precedent.

Ubizmo
Offline   Reply With Quote