DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Default Re: NEW: BlackBerry® Torch™ 9850/9860

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
The battery life is no where near what people are used to with the Blackberries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
My 9650 barely lasts to the end of the day if I use it a lot, and that's without talking on it.
Quote:
I have the GSM version and I can't even get a day out of it. I had it off the charger at night and woke up to 65% just from being in standby. And yes that was from a full charge. BB OS 7 is still beta I believe so it could get better. I'll try tomorrow and see about what time it goes dead without charging it. I've been charging it just because I almost always have a charger wherever I'm at.
Quote:
Today I got 9 hours of it. I probably spent 30 minutes of voice usage and very light email and messaging. I'm guessing maybe 15 minutes of messaging and email use.
Does anyone else find this all to be rather humorous - or at least quite ironic? The original motivation for cell phones was to allow us to talk anywhere, and not be tethered to a location by wires. Now, the "latest and greatest" phones are getting to the point where we can't use them for even an entire day without tethering them back to power often during the day.

With each new BlackBerry model I've gotten over the years, the battery life has been less, but even with the Torch 9800 I almost always make it through a full day and put it on the charge cradle when I go to bed, so that still works.

Probably the biggest drawback (in my opinion) to the iPhone and all the new Android phones with their fast CPU's and huge, gorgeous screens has been the very poor battery life. Now RIM appears to have joined the crowd with the 9850/9860. I have a good friend I play golf with, who's company just "upgraded" his BlackBerry Bold to one of those beautiful-screen Android devices. We both use the same golf GPS app (GolfLogix.) If we use his phone, his fully-charged battery is about dead after 9 holes. If we use my 9800, my fully-charged battery is at about 60% after 18 holes. Guess which one we use? I know he sure doesn't consider this to be an "upgrade" for him.

It seems if the smartphones have with their dual-core Gigahertz CPU's and huge hi-res screens have gotten to the point where they won't even hold up through a normal day's usage without being repeatedly charged, that this whole craze has gone a bit too far. I guess I won't be considering the 9850/9860, and will be very interested to hear the reports on battery life for the new 9810.

(Yeah, I realize that apparently there are lots who disagree, and seem happy to turn their wireless phones back into wired phones for significant portions of the day, just so the thing doesn't die before the day's over.)
Offline   Reply With Quote