Old 09-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: T-Mobile UMA and WiFi Hotspot Update

Just a stab in the dark here...

Lately I've had issues with the handoff from UMA to 3G or EDGE. It doesn't work on either my wife's 9700 or my 9800. It will drop the call every time. For the last several years I have had no issues with that handoff using the same router and OS versions on my BB devices. The devices will still go from EDGE to UMA with no problem, however. After much troubleshooting I finally called TMobile.

After getting escalated to tier 3 BlackBerry support they told me that there is a known issue between UMA and 3G with the UMA handoff to 3G or EDGE. They told me that the issue is even occurring on the OS7 devices (9900.) I'll bet that could be why they are holding off until November for the 9810. She said they were waiting on a fix from RIM. When I pressed her on what the cause was she really didn't know and it sounded like she didn't know whether it would be a software fix by RIM or a fix on the network end.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that this is why they have disabled the UMA on the 9900 right now.

For now, I've turned off UMA on my devices as I got tired of the dropped calls every time I left home.

Last edited by John Clark; 09-08-2011 at 10:08 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote