View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Om_Audio

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Re: 9780 no GPS without cell signal??

Ok thanks, then something is wrong. I was in Mojave desert- last GPS fix had access to 9 satellites- wide open sky. I tried many times over the 5 days I was there to refresh the GPS and also pulling the battery. On this trip I travelled very little- less than 20mi/day- sometimes much less. It would sit overnight with full view of sky and still not refresh. It just does not work without a cell carrier signal for some reason. As soon as I have cell service again the GPS starts working. I went through TMO support and they created an internal discussion to try and sort out why it is not working. Frustrating. Thanks for the info- will report back with any developments.

PS- just took out the 8900 and it gets GPS refresh in less than 10secs with no SIM card installed- 4 satellites. 9780 is way slower/non-functional- takes 30secs or more (or fails) then shows same info which is 0 satellites and coordinates way off compared to 8900. Maybe the 9780 has a different GPS chip that just does not work as well?

Last edited by Om_Audio; 10-12-2011 at 01:45 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote