Thread: goodbye bb
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 03:53 AM   #3
jkevinwolfe

Model: 7105t

Mapin,

Sorry to hear of your woes. I recently bought a BB 7105t. It was a tough decision. tMobile was the obvious choice for cost. I wanted a Treo650. I am very familiar with Palm, but tMobile discontinued it. So I wound up going with the BB.

Maybe my criteria is different. While I have found a lot of limitations in the name of security (BT, no editing word docs, no file transfer by usb) my needs were essentially usable email, a phone and basic pims. I have that with the BB. Pocketmac has been flawless in syncing my calendar, addressbook and tasks. The speakphone is excellent. And push email is killer. It's so fast and opens all the necessary attachment formats with no fuss. While I can't edit word docs, I can strip out text, edit it and send it back in the body of an email or a vCard Note. Not ideal, but I know there have always been serious issues with Word doc corruption on handheld devices, ironically even Pocket PC, since it couldn't handle advanced formatting. As for not being able to upgrade the OS without a windows machine, I was concerned, but found the point was moot since tMobile is not offering an upgrade yet.

I stayed away from the MDA because of Windows. They still haven't convinced me they can do a phone OS any better than they do a desktop. Desite being into PDAs/Smartphones for over 10 years, they still only have about 12% of the market for smartphones, which signals to me they still don't have it right

I'd really like to hear how the MDA works out for you, especially sync and browsing speed. Keep us posted.

Kevin