View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #33
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

So, it's roughly a 7130 with an MP3 player. Meh.

EDIT: If I may say...this is really pushing the limits of what is supposed to be a professional, corporate, work-centric device. However, it's clear from RIM's movements in the last year -- the SureType BlackBerries, working with the carriers to provide non-BES options, and the incredibly consumer-centric web site redesign -- that they really want to push into the regular consumer space. You know, the people that buy SideKicks and pink RAZRs. To do so with the BlackBerry line, however, would taint that brand's value with the corporate world. Right now, "BlackBerry" is synonymous with "secure, easy to use, no camera, no removeable storage"; in other words, not much of a security threat. I think, for RIM to succeed in the consumer market and continue to succeed in the corporate market, they need to launch a whole new line -- we'll call it code name StrawBerry, though I'm sure Marketing can come up with something better (and markedly different from "BlackBerry"). StrawBerry devices could be slick handhelds packed with cameras, removable memory cards, full data Bluetooth, even (shudder) different colored casings -- anything that would appeal to the general consumer but that might compromise the BlackBerry brand could have free reign on these devices. RIM already has a great platform that outperforms Palm, Microsoft, and whatever the heck SideKick uses when it comes to mobile communication -- they just need to add the things that matter most to the average Joe.

Last edited by mrogers; 06-27-2006 at 02:09 PM..