View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Dodge DeBoulet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default 8703e: Convince me to Keep it

Please Login to Remove!

Folks, I ordered and received an 8703e from Verizon based on the recommendation of my boss, who is a heavy email user. As an email device, it's fine, but it's sorely lacking in some features that I find important. Its shortcomings:
  • Lousy battery life in a 1XRTT area (much better in EVDO)
  • Lacks voice dial
  • Won't adjust display time to local time automatically
  • Can't sync or tether via bluetooth
  • Can't sort email display by sender/subject/date (wtf? Wasn't this thing designed for email?)

I've read that voice dial is a possibility with an upcoming OS release (although it won't be in 4.2, at least for the 8703e), and that would go a long way to making it more attractive. I had a Moto E815 before, and that has an amazing voice dial feature; anything remotely as useful as that on the BB would make its other shortcomings less objectionable.

I really want to like this thing; the screen is nice, the keyboard is pretty good, and web browsing is surprisingly usable. But I just can't get over the features I'm giving up by forgoing my Moto E815.

Now, I know that I'm giving up email by going back to a conventional phone (duh), but I'm considering ordering a Treo 700P to replace the BB (yes, I know it doesn't have voice dial either, but you can get software to do that from a 3rd party). I'm hearing conflicting stories on the Treo's stability, and I'm sure this forum is not the place to look for positive experiences with the Treo. But for those that switched from a 650 or 700P to a BB, what kept you from going back? And does the BB suffice as your cell phone too?