View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell
Default My list of 8100 irritants.

Please Login to Remove!

Disclaimer: I love my 8100, this list is just to point out a few things that, for the most part, seem easily corrected. Maybe some of them already have solutions.

Carrier: Rogers
OS version: 4.2.0.51

In no particular order...

- no hard reboot method without pulling battery.

- around once a week, my phone has a "Sim Card Error". Can't be corrected without hard rebooting, thus, the irritation over the last item.

- lack of, in my opinion, simple yet critical navigation functions in media player, e.g., page up and page down to scroll MP3's, random play, etc.

- slow CPU. This may be a feature (I've read that the reason BB's generally have superior battery life is due to purposefully slow CPU speeds. But this is a media device and I've downloaded a couple of games that are unusable the performance is so bad (e.g.: Devil Hunter, specifically created or at least ported for the Pearl),

- Possible corruption problems with the media card. I've run across a few occasions where I could delete a picture (it says "File System Error"). I leave it alone and later on I can delete the picture. Far worse: I had to re-format my media card a couple of weeks ago after losing a semi-important file I saved in the root directory while using the device in mass storage mode (to transfer a few things). Basically, the Pearl no longer recognised the media card. I was able to get everything off of it using a card reader (except for the file noted above). Then I reformatted using the Pearl, and copied everything back onto it. Hasn't happened since. Maybe I unplugged the 8100 without first disconnecting the drive in Windows, but I swear I didn't do something that dumb. Who knows.

- As many have posted in here, the device seems to have a problem runnig low on memory. I believe it happens when, for instance, I send a bunch of MMS messages (pictures) and the files are saved for 30 days (or whatever your email settings dictate). Then, instead of clearing out these files, it starts automatically clearing the call log, etc. Or maybe it's just a file caching issue, since a hard reboot always clears a bunch of space. Seems like something that could be fine tuned.

- Spinning CPU issue. Nothing like my 7780 (ugh), but I can't say I ever saw the spinner with my 8700.

- Application Switching. This is more of a minor nit, but on my older BB's, simply hitting the ALT-ESC sequence (without scrolling through running apps), always brought me back to the hoime screen automatically. Now I have to scroll to the home icon to get back home. Annoying.

- Too many button presses for phone tasks. Example: If I call up a contact from the phone log or contact list and hit the green Send button, I then have to scroll to the number I want dialed (i.e, Work, Mobile, Home), Then hit the select button. That's three unique keys I have to hit to make a call for a contact with more than one number attached. It's easily solved by allowing the green send key to be used to select the number on the list, instead of the select button. This seems nitpicky, but I would say 70% of the time, the number I want ("Work") is preselected, so all I would have to press is the green key twice (with a brief glance to make sure). I can't remember, but I would swear this was the way my 8700 worked. Then there's the strange "Do you want to end this call and return to the Home screen?" message when I hit the red end key after a call. Why? Just end the damn call and don't ask questions.

- backlight issue. Don't think I have to elaborate.

That's about it. Others have been coevered in here that don't bother me in the least and probably most of the list above doesn't bother others.