View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default Anyone getting the new Apple PDA? (Pocket OSX computer only 11mm thick)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Anyone getting the new Apple iPhone just for its PDA functions?
I'm not interested in iPhone/iPod -- I'm deaf.

It's a fullfledged ultraportable MacOS X machine with 4 gigabytes, with WiFi, Bluetooth, and bonus data - and it probably is even programmable enoguh to work through external Bluetooth data sources (such as my BlackBerry).

And for once, multitouch technology finally lets me use a stylus (optional) on the touchscreen while resting my wrist on the screen -- that never works on an iPaq. (Even though I have a BlackBerry, I have an iPaq too as well for use as an electronic notepad -- this Apple PDA appears to totally blow away an iPaq). Could easily be a great notepad for the deaf.

And without using a cellphone plan, I can juse the Apple PDA using an external WiFi or Bluetooth data connection instead -- with the best handheld web browser in its form factor (just drag finger to scroll, and pinch two fingers in/out to zoom in/out to magnify -- easy!). And the screen is a very high resolution 360x480 pixel screen -- one of the highest resolutions in this form factor. Looks like it can be a great photo viewer, great video player, snazzy UI, full UNIX programmability, etc, etc.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 01-09-2007 at 02:50 PM..