View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #266
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I switched my accounts over the weekend to exchangemymail as well.

The process was exactly as easy as AverageJoe describes.

1. Open new account with exchangemymail - easily done via the web signup. Exchangemymail has done a great job automating this process.

(Note: I went with the 5 user business account for $45 after discount (discount link is on the forum)- which provides 2.5 gig of data storage - if you're using Outlook/Exchange for business the storage creeps up FAST) - I haven't found this good a deal elsewhere. They also include spam filtering for free (more on that later)

2. Pointed my domain mx records to exchangemymail (they provide all the instructions in their knowledgebase).

3. Once I observed that email was flowing correctly (which it was within about 10 minutes) -- I decided later that day to activate my Blackberry. (Note to lurkers: Have to wipe the BB first if you are switching from one hosted provider to another)

Worth noting that I signed up for the Blackberry at 10:03 pm on Saturday. At 10:17 pm the BES activation email came. By 11:00 everything was all set up on exchangemymail and so far as I can tell the device is working perfectly.

Since there may be others who stumble upon this thread who are Mailstreet users looking for another host, here are some summarized thoughts pro/con on exchangemymail.

PRO of Exchangemymail
-better pricing for those with multiple boxes
-easier control panel to manage exchange
-great faq for common questions
-support lines appear to be answered and issues resolved in much the same way mailstreet used to do before their acquisition a year or two ago
-less need to call tech support - much of the information is contained in their KB which is readily available

CONS of Exchangemymail
-the jury may be out on the effectiveness of the postini spam filter. Mailstreet has a VERY robust spam defense. While exchangemymail includes Postini for free, its effectiveness may be less than mailstreet. I received a bunch of SPAM right after signing up however I can't tell whether that's an initial configuration issue. Since that bunch came through I haven't received any more. I also bumped the filters up to the most aggressive setting. I will know more on this after a week or so of usage.

I made the switch mostly because of annoyance with the Mailstreet multi-day outage (well, I'm not sure how many days it was out totally but sporadically from a Thursday night around 10 until Saturday email was up/down and Blackberry didn't come on again until last).

My business is very heavily dependent on email. Yet we cannot afford to have technicians in the office monitoring exchange servers -- so we do the next best thing and outsource the hosting.

I'm hopeful that if there are issues with downtime, that they are posted fast so that subscribers can make plans to be without email. For the mailstreet outage we were being told that recovery was coming soon....which apparently translated to the end of the day for partial and Saturday for full.
Offline   Reply With Quote