View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
JG in SB
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary stonecutter
I have the Mercedes Bluetooth interface module. While the bluetooth connection works for calls, the phonebook will not download to the car and the BB voice dialing will not work. My 8700 worked perfectly.
I have a Cingular 8800 and it syncs the phonebook perfectly with my Audi bluetooth MMI system. I know that is different than the MB system, but you are saying a previous BlackBerry DID sync its phonebook with your MB system, so the MB system clearly has the ability to sync this type of data.

Check the settings on your 8800. Go to the menu in the Bluetooth settings application on the BlackBerry, select "options" and see what is set for "Address Book Transfer". I don't know what the default setting is, but it may be "disabled". You have the option of selecting "All Entries", "Hotlist Only", and "Selected Categories Only".

Try setting it to something like "Hotlist Only", to test if it will sync. That won't have too many entries in it. Your phonebook might have 1000's of entries and could exceed the memory capacity of the Mercedes system. I know that when I first tried to sync my entire phoneboook, it only synchronized entries through the letter "G" at which point the car system memory was maxed out. I don't know how the MB system is set up, but trying it out with a much smaller data transfer should give an indication about whther that function works.

There is also an option called "Transfer Address Book" in the first level of the menu within the Bluetooth Settings application on the BlackBerry. I have never used this, but I just clicked on it to check it out and the BlackBerry immediately started looking for my Audi MMI Bluetooth which is the only one of the paired devices that supports this function. So you should give that a shot as well. I am going to try it out in my car tomorrow to see what it does, because now I am curious.

Also, I don't know what your pairing procedure was, but I had the best results when I allowed my car to initiate the pairing and then accepted the pairing on the BlackBerry, vs. having the BlackBerry seek out the car system to do the setup.

All I can say is that there is definitely hope. Clearly, 1) the MB system supports address book sync (as demonstrated by the fact that your 8700 could sync it's phonebook); and 2) the 8800 supports address book sync (as demonstrated by the fact that my 8800 syncs its phonebook with my car). So my guess is that you will be able to get this to work when you find the right combination of settings.

Good luck.

Last edited by JG in SB; 03-20-2007 at 12:34 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote