Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #44
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboarder873
what i don't get is how a program can do this...this is a "hardware" tweak i'd say...as if the pearl was made to be able to do this, so why didn't the Pearl have this as an option? how'd a third party get this to work?
That's like asking why there are so many tweaks for Microsoft XP and why didn't MS include them all with the OS, either the original disc or through patches.

Fact is, third parties come up with all kinds of ideas. They put in the time and effort to do the programming that MS did not.

Same here. As time goes on third parties will come up with tweaks, etc. For example, there is one BBF member that developed that little program that resets the Pearl which is 150% better than doing what RIM requires for a reset, pulling the battery. Why didn't RIM include a software reset button in the original or subsequent operating systems?

And what about Seidio's speaker mod, better fitting cover and extended batteries? Why didn't RIM "fix" those things?

Fact is, I am sure that while RIM knew it could make the trackball light up different colors, they either reserved the idea for release on future phones [as an incentive for us to upgrade]; they did not want to take the time to make the program; or they figured changing the trackball color was not that important a feature to consumers, so why include it.

As to how it works, seeing how this might make the developer $500k to $1 million in the next month or so, I doubt they will tell you how they did it.
Offline   Reply With Quote