Old 04-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
AlexKidd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
I understood the first part, about using the TMo router. I have no idea, however, what the last sentences mean. My conclusion is that I should probably plan on using a TMo router.

What is a ME on the AP?
What he's really trying to say is that QoS (Quality of Service) support is very important on your broadband connection to ensure calls sound good and that the phone works reliably. If you're not a geek, then it's highly recommended to buy their router. If your single and are the only person on the AP and cable connection then you very well may be able to use the service with 100% quality without any QoS. Start a big file transfer from the 'net and your going to start getting choppy reception without QoS.

Technically speaking though if you do have a little knowledge then it's possible that the router you have now already handles QoS. Personally, I am fully knowledgable on various QoS technologies because all of my current home / home-office telephones are VoIP. I have set up multiple phone trunks to VoIP providers already and can easily set up another for T-Mobile. My home has a Cisco 806 broadband router with QoS, traffic shaping and I have a Cisco AP-350 802.11b wireless access point which itself also ensures QoS for wireless VoIP devices. (I have a ZyXEL Prestige 2000 VoIP phone which I bought to use around the house)

--Kidd

Last edited by AlexKidd; 04-17-2007 at 09:55 AM..