Old 09-30-2004, 06:52 PM   #13
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

[quote="bollar"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
I can make BT calls, but have been having problems receiving calls on my car kit. Also the car kit is activated each time a tone is played on the BB, including non-phone related stuff like messages received.

IM client uses SMS and also something at http://wirelessvillage.t-mobile.com/

Display is fantastic indoors, poor outdoors. With backlight all the way up, it's readable in direct sunlight, but nothing like the beautiful screen the other BBs have outside.

It works like a phone. Great sound quality and nice to hold to the head.

I think it's a keeper!
I think if you're getting all audio sent over BT then you're using Bluetooth Handsfree profile. Those people using Bluetooth Headset profiles will not have the same behavior and it will have a positive effect on the battery life of the 7100.

No device I bought in the last 12 months has the ability to look good in direct sunlight. Just as well, I hardly ever get outside during the day, so this isn't a big deal for me! ;)

Now I want to make sure we're clear on something. The IM client doesn't use SMS. Not at all. Its straight GPRS and you don't pay extra for it since it's required to get email on the bberry.

I haven't heard that T-Mobile was doing anything at all with IMPS/WirelessVillage - that URL doesn't work, and I'm not certain if you know what WV is. (That wasn't meant to be condescending at all, by the way - it's just that I've written a few articles about IMPS and WV and know more than most users would care to!)

WV is the common name for IMPS, which would be GREAT if T-Mobile actually started rolling it out, but as the IM client on the 7100 doesn't seem to support Chat/Presence over WV: it is unclear to me if they're actually using IMPS or just call their Oz IM gateway "Wireless Village" or if they have plans to actually allow direct IM and Presence pieces of IMPS.