Old 07-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
ffeingol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Vaja 8800/8830 Classic case review

Please Login to Remove!

After reading a lot of good reviews (and a couple of bad ones) I decided to order one. It arrived last Thursday (the 5th) and here is my "about one week" review.

- Ordered 19-Jun-2007
- Order confirmed 20-Jun-2007
- Order shipped 29-Jun-2007 but it missed the FedEX cutoff so it actually shipped on 2-July
- Order delivered 5-July-2007 (4th of July holiday messed up the shipment)

Product Ordered: Vaja Classic case in Plain Vitelino "Passion" color with no belt clip.

The Good

- The leather is extremely thin so it really adds very little bulk to the device
- The manufacturing quality seems pretty good.

Two minor issues. There was a protective film over the "screen protector". There is a small bit of the protective film in the lower right hand corner of the screen protector that I just can't get off (but it's not covering any part of the screen). There was a stray end of the stiching but I cut that off with an exacto knife.

- It fits extremely snugly around the device

The Minor Irritant

There is a small "pucker" by the USB port on one side and the volume control on the other. It's not a huge deal but it makes the case look like it has little "ears" near the top.

The Bad

- As reported by other people (too late for me to read) there is a fair amount of dust accumulating between the screen protector and the actual screen. The dust is pretty much invisible when the screen is on, but it's annoying.

- The screen protector material seems too soft. There are many scratches in it already (but again they are not visible with the screen on).

- The leather is just too fragile. I put the berry in my left front pocket. There is nothing in that pocket other than an occasional USB thumbdrive. I already have a fairly large scratch in the back of the case (1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide).

At this point I'd have to say that I'm just "ok" with the case. I'll give it a few more weeks and then update this review. At least one other person write that they cut off the screen protector but I'm very nervous about doing that as there is nothing to hold the "top" of the case together then and I'm sure it will begin to stretch.

I'll try to post some pictures also, but my photography skills are not that hot anymore.

Frank