Old 08-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
lawdogg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
This alone shows that the "security concerns" are complete BS! What freaking security issues? The location is not transported across the network. The phone requests GPS vectors and then overlays that info on top of a map it downloads from RIM's servers (in the case of Blackberry Maps). Anyone who belive this BS is either stupid or doesn't know how to properly formulate a question to these "trained response monkeys" from VZW so that you trap them in their own lies.
I don't consider myself stupid (but I suppose neither to most stupid people ). However, I simply don't know enough about how GPS tracking is implemented in smartphones to know what is BS and what is not.

The fact that the new Q has GPS enable could mean that Verizon is simply blowing smoke up our a$$ regarding the 8830 - or it could simply mean that the Q simply has a different (and more "secure" per Verizon's security standards) implementation of GPS tracking.

So the $64000 question becomes "If you're doing this because of security concerns, why is GPS enabled on the new Motorola Q?" The OP didn't ask this question because s/he presumably didn't know about the new Q. If anyone here can ask someone "in the know" at Verizon this question, I'd LOVE to hear the answer.