Thread: Edge vs 3G
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 AM   #30
CybaCowboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 21445DCA
Carrier: Telstra Australia

Wirelessly posted (RIM BlackBerry 8300 Curve: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/122)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
tether, smether....the device and processor won't be able to handle that speed.

The only way to take advantage of these future speeds is with a modem or card. BB's and other phones won't experience the benefits. Battery life will suffer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
Good point (sarcasm noted!). Unless you tether, I'm not sure there are a lot of advantages. My email comes instantly, texts close to instant, my battery life is great, and the web pages I visit download within seconds. I'm not saying there aren't some specific, individualized tasks that could benefit from 3g, just that most people think it can provide more than it can.
Whilst this is mostly true, there ARE exceptions...

Most of the newer Microsoft Windows Mobile devices from HTC and Palm can benefit from the faster speeds, though they usually struggle to achieve anything faster than about 1.5MB/s - it's the exact same problem you would have if you were asking the Internet via a high-speed Wi-Fi connection.

Certain other handsets (particularly those from Samsung) also support the faster 3.5G/UMTS/WCDMA with HSDPA data speeds, though as I understand it, they also struggle to achieve anything higher than about 1.5MB/s (apparently they are a small improvement though)...