View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #91
f0rmat

Model: 8300
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
You can upgrade for free, I had no issues.
Backup your DB, just in case.
Just wanting to cover all grounds. I inherited my BES(and admin responsibilities) from someone else so I'm not going to pretend I know everything.. and my boss is keen on getting 4.1.5 up and running asap.. he wanted me to do it today.. but I pushed him back to Monday.

Three questions.
About a year ago I did an upgrade of our BES from 4.0.x to 4.1.3. There was a bunch of patches I had to install first(mdac etc..). We're running on the free version of sql(not sql 2005 express, probably sql 2000 express.. when I check the about on sql server service manager it says version 8.00.760... and I want to make sure that there aren't any prereqs like that for this SP.

Also,
I've never had to restore a BES.. so all I have is the "backup script" that the previous admin had put in place. Every night the following command runs.
"C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server\utility\blackberrybackup -b -o backup.txt -n amereast-bes3 -y -m BlackberryServer -w blackberry" which creates a backup.txt file in a backup folder that gets thrown on tape... is that a backup of the database? Is that all that is really needed in a recovery? What would a procedure for a recovery be like if the DB became corrupt? Are there other things that should be backed up?

Finally,
Is installing the upgrade over 4.1.3 as simple as just running the binary.. following the instructions, and rebooting? Are there any other precautions to take?

TIA for any advice.

Cheers,
-Derek
Offline   Reply With Quote