View Single Post
Old 05-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
Camarones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Attachment filtering

I dealt with this problem over 2 years ago when we were on Nextel 6510's. We are an architecture and construction firm that sends and receives a LOT of attachments (not internally, that's what file servers are for!) between us, our clients, and our subcontractors. It averages about 25Mb/day/user. Since 99% of these were not viewable on the Blackberry, or were mangled by the viewers, I set up a system that strips messages bound for the blackberry of ALL attachments and replaces it with a note informing the recipient what has happened.

We don't use BES or Exchange or Notes. We use BWC and Sendmail-based in-house mail servers on linux and FreeBSD. When a message comes in for a user it is virus/spam scanned and if it is worthy, it is saved in their mailbox. A second copy of the message is dispatched to a secondary server that has a script that checks for attachments and removes them, and then appends a note telling the user what has happened. This message is then fired off to the nextel/tmo/whatever.blackberry.net account associated with the user's blackberry. All this happens in less than 2 seconds.

If I could find a way to only use the attachment stripping script for selected users I could accomplish this all on a single mail server, but I haven't yet. The script is called 'batemail'. It is configurable to strip all attachments, or selected file extensions. I don't think you can tell it to "strip all but X filetype".

Sometimes an attachment will slip through, but I would say 98% of them don't. I also set auto-aging on the webclient to 1-3 days.