View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #45
Drug$toreCowboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Fido (BIS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
This isn't directed at D$C or anyone else, but in general, every time you do an OS upgrade, especially if it has been months since the last upgrade, and particularly if you install/uninstall a lot of apps -- you will gain back a lot of memory.

If, like me, you install and uninstall all sorts of 3rd party apps, then over time the database(s) that store user data (registration keys, configuration, etc) for each application gets larger and larger and larger. When you upgrade OS's, these particular databases are not restored (that's why you have to re-register all your 3rd party apps and set them all up again even though you upgraded rather than wipe and reinstalled), and you get all that memory back. It can add up, believe me!

You can downgrade OS's and immediately turn around and upgrade again to the same OS you started out with and have 5 to 10 MB more than when you started out. I sometimes upgrade OS's even though I'm happy with the current version, just to clean old junk out.

You make a good point. I guess that cleans out the "cholesterol". Even setting the memory issue aside, the leak is still not as bad as my last install (.348) and the SMS delivery receipt is still a good thing.
Offline   Reply With Quote