Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverstar View Post
Some basic questions, now that I'm over concerned about OS upgrade:
1. when connected to USB, do I click Yes or No for mass storage enablement?
2. is it better to wipe device before trying a completely new OS?
3. do I select automatically back up / restore data when upgrade to a much newer OS?
I don't need anything original at all, if it's a choice, I would like a nuked machine, just give me freedom to install whatever version of OS as many times as I wish, that's good enough. But this piece of device seems so fragile... I liked my old curve 8320, upgraded many times, no issue at all.

This 9700, really reminds me sth in the old days, when you buy an old USB camera, you cannot connect it before install drivers, you have to do exactly as the manual says, install driver first, then connect USB, then it can be used. Otherwise, you screwed it up, no camera, even after you regretted not following instruction and removing the device and reinstalling drivers won't help. Have to clean drivers completely even from cache or reinstall windows to start all over again... this sounds like that... fragile... not robust, not bullet proof reliable...
First let me assure you that the 9700 using AT&T upgrades easily. I have only used an AT&T specific upgrade one time, otherwise it's always been whatever is posted at the top of this forum. Not sure why you're having difficulties. Are you connecting to the DM ok? Not that you would use that to do the OS upgrade, but I'm wondering if it's your connection, computer, etc? To answer your questions:

I only keep mass storage turned on when I need to use the phone for copying over files. But I don't think that should give you a problem with the OS upgrade. You might want to try with it off to be safe.

I have never wiped the device before upgrading. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that I've never done it and never had a problem.

I backup my phone data all the time. It may ask you at time of OS upgrade, I don't remember. Always a good idea. Good luck and keep us informed.