View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

MDS-IS, especially if in use at all, definitely. MDS-CS, possibly, but really depends on the current load. I haven't really looked at the performance of MDS-IS in BES 5.0, but I know it had a lot of really bad low-level calls in BES 4.1.x that caused the CPU on VMware guests to go completely haywire and spike at 100% usage.

As for the segmented environments, I personally feel that keeping things on the same box is my ideal scenario and I have yet to come across a case in our environment that warranted a separation otherwise. A colleague in the industry pointed to RIM's monthly PDF attachment distiller patches as a reason to have the attachment service separated (the ease of updating 4 servers rather than 18 servers), so it's really a matter of what best fits your own environment and how much money you care to spend on Microsoft licensing (which would be the primary concern depending on your contract with Microsoft). If you have datacenter edition for your VMs and have no concerns about the additional server count, then you very well could, and quite possibly should pool some of the more resource intensive services.