View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 12:44 AM   #14
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

>>"This might be a dumb question, but what is “The BWC”?"

See BlackBerry Glossary. It is the BlackBerry Web Client. That's your webmail account / email configurator for your BlackBerry. An example is http://www.rogers.com/bwc ...

>>"Thanks for the fantastic reply."

You're welcome! Just so everyone knows, I like to post big replies online (Rather than by email), since that helps educate many people asking the same kind of questions! So that makes it well worth me posting huge replies, because many people find the replies useful.

>>"First off, is there a "Flash" or "Java" demo for the 7520? Something that lists all the features of that particular phone (kind of like the CSK on Tmobiles website)."

The product demos are at http://www.blackberry.com ... Click "Product Demo" and you'll get a demo.

>>"I am hoping to stop by a Nextel store tomorrow to check out the BB."

Just to be warned, many representatives at stores don't actually know the capabilities of the BlackBerry. Also make sure you try the model 7520 which has a much better screen than the model 7510.

[i]>>"For file management, all I do is have all emails that are coming to "Account 1" & the sidekick puts those emails into a folder called "Account 1", "Account 2's" emails are placed into an "Account 2" folder, the same for "Account 3"."

There is a new BWC feature (recently introduced in BWC 4.0) that allows folders to be created at the BWC webclient. I am not too familiar with this feature, but you can create BWC email filters that automatically move incoming BWC emails to specific folders (including the custom BWC folders you create). You have to do all of this configuring through the BWC website for your BlackBerry account.

>>"Would the default BB software handle this?"

Yes, you can now. You may need to upgrade to BlackBerryOS 4.0 to include the folder selection feature.

[i]>>"I also like being able to start an email & choose which account to use for the outgoing email. Email 1 is sent from Account 1, Email 2 is sent from Account 3, etc etc."

This is not a feature included in the BlackBerry but available as a third party utility to change the "Reply-To" address. I do not think this is quite automatic yet, but you can use the BlackBerry PowerToy

>>"My email accounts are all pop3 set to leave messages on the server. I am hoping to get away with not using a BES for my needs (still working through the FAQ) as I do not want or need my BB to keep “every” folder & email in a downloadable state. I guess I wouldn’t want my emails out there like that (from a security perspective – of course who cares about my data anyway)."

I think you'll be OK without BES.

>>"I currently use a PPC based solution (Dell Axim X50v) for most of my PDA items. Can I use both the Dell Axim & the BB on the same PC? I just bought the Dell a few months ago & would hate to never use it again because of a software configuration issue."

As long as you use the latest version of ActiveSync, you can have BlackBerry Desktop and ActiveSync coexist. Just make sure you have the field mapping set up correctly so that synchronization is identical on both your BlackBerry and your PocketPC. Do not do any nonstandard stuff like formatting/fonts/icons in the Notes fields of your contacts.

[i]>>"I will check out the reqwireless browser as well to speed up the web browsing. To be honest, I wont use it most of the time, just if I have a few minutes to kill. It really comes down to I am paying for a sidekick “web browser” that is unusable the 3 times per month I want to use it."

You'll likely find the reliability of the BlackBerry Browser greatly improved. If you do not need to use the browser often, you can use the browser that is built into the BlackBerry (Although not all carriers "enable" it)

>>AIM is used on a similar level as well. The problem is that by the time I have IM’ed someone, I can DC them much faster.

You can use Verichat much faster than you can DC. The messages arrive on the other end about 1 second after hitting Enter or the thumbwheel to transmit the message.

>>Oh how is DC on the 7520, is it hard to hold? Also dialing out, right now on my I730, I can navigate to my contacts without looking (then I need to look to see), is there a “D pad” on the BB?

There's no such thing as a D-Pad on the BlackBerry. However, I think DC on BlackBerry works fine, you'll have to test it at the store though.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source