View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
yorkie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Another update...

ok, so I thought I'd try a few things. One being resending the service book, to see what it does and whether it works. The other thing is changing the encryption key creation from automatic to manual.

The test handheld was my own. It's a UK 7230 on BES 4.0 SP1 HF2. It's been working fine for ages now. I'm running Desktop Manager 4.0 on Windows XPSP2 with Outlook 2003. I've set wireless sync & reconcile for everything; messages, calendar, tasks, contracts etc.

*** Resend service book ***

firstly I went into OPTIONS | SERVICE BOOK and deleted DESKTOP [CMIME]. Nothing much happened, the service book didn't reappear, messages weren't being delivered to the handheld, I couldn't send messages and the Enterprise Activation icon appeared on the handheld home screen.

After about 10-15 minutes I went to the BES and chose to RESEND SERVICE BOOK for my handheld. Within a few minutes my DESKTOP [CMIME] service book was back, all functionality restored and the Enterprise Activation icon had disappeared. Excellent result. So this works fine then.

*** Change encryption key from Automatic to Manual ***

After a while I tried this second test. I went to the BES and changed the encryption key to manual. Nothing spectacular happened, messages were still coming in.

Conclusion:

it's nice to know I can change the encryption key on the BES without the need to redock the handheld to get it understand the new setup.

I'm glad I was able to resend the service book too but this doesn't help with my problem described earlier in this post. when I deleted my service book and looked at the settings within MESSAGES | OPTIONS | I didn't see EMAIL RECONCILIATION as an option. My users who experienced this did see the option listed but there wasn't much in there (see first post in this thread) and resending the service book had no affect.

I still don't know how to restore a blackberry to full working order once the encryption keys are out of sync. And get it restored wirelessly without needing to reinstall the handheld when the user gets back in the office.

Any further suggestions/observations/comments very welcome...

Mike.