Old 12-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
alophind
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cellcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_sheepo View Post
I't not quite true that you need BIS (or BES) for e-mail on a BlackBerry.

What you indeed need BIS (or BES) for is the BlackBerry push mail service, i.e. the e-mail client ("white envelope" icon) that comes with every BlackBerry. There is no way to get this without a special BlackBerry plan.

But there are a whole bunch of third party e-mail applications (including Funambol, Gmail app, Yahoo Go!, Tiggit; some are free, some are not) that will work with a regular data plan.

While the above mentioned Gmail app is very nice for Gmail users, it doesn't offer true push e-mail - not yet, at least. It "polls" for new mail every 20 minutes, however, which results in a similar experience as BIS and will probably be enough for many people (including me).

The Funambol e-mail client you mentioned, actually DOES offer of push mail. Technically, it's not the same thing as BIS, but it works the same way (as does IMAP idle or MS Exchange on a Palm or Windows Mobile phone). I set up my Gmail account with it, only took a few minutes (or even seconds) to show new mail. Unfortunately, it only offers basic notification support (you can't configure a ringtone, LED blinking or anything like that), so its push mail capability seems somewhat pointless to me.

I hope this helps a bit with the e-mail confusion ;).

P.S.: If you use Gmaill, I would recommend the Gmail app because of its extremely nice user interface. It also has fully customizable notification for new mail (ringtones, vibration, LED notification).
Thank you.
I need to "push" (or pull) mail from exchange server i have.
I guess i need to install the funambol server side program?

Did you use that or the beta web site ?

Thank you.
Offline   Reply With Quote